MediaPortal is driving me mad (1 Viewer)

Joe the Po

November 3, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I have been trying to use mediaportal 2-3 months now. I have no TV or CD's or telephone anymore I gave them away thinking that mediaportal would supplant them all.

My computer is 100% stable.

I have an Avermedia 771 DBT (bursts into tears) so no TV.
I uses skype a lot (manaics pluggin = next to useless)
I have Divx and Vidx movies and use Power DVD as external player (so much easier just to use Power DVD by itself or Winamp.)
The only view that is of use is the share view, All others ruined by tags from various artist CD's screwing them up. Browsing albums is sticky and oftern you click on something else too. It's like wading through treacle.
After a recent update (scroll lock feature is worthy improvement) the now playing screen causes a crash so bad you gotta hardware reset. Friends who want to select music who have never seen it before all hate it.
wwwitv pluggin is good but 90% of the time crashes the machine and requires CTRL ALT DEL to regain control.
Weather pluggin is nice but i get a satalite map of Germany when i live in the UK.
Yahoo video thingy = very good (work perfectly) but not much content.
Google video and Youtube pluggin would be good.

I really would like Mediaportal to be good, but I am gonna see if I can use photomessa as a music browser. I suggest that a new music pluggin featuring a zoomable interface on the Jeff Raskin model mayhe the ultimate in usability for media browsers.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you are so unhappy with MediaPortal, maybe you should ask for your money back!

The only view that is of use is the share view, All others ruined by tags from various artist CD's screwing them up. Browsing albums is sticky and oftern you click on something else too. It's like wading through treacle.

This one is easy. Go into MediaPortal Setup, click on the "Music Database" pane, and check the boxes by "Treat tracks in an individual folder as an album" and "Scan albums for various artists".

I have loads of compilation albums, and in the album view they show up just fine.

After a recent update (scroll lock feature is worthy improvement) the now playing screen causes a crash so bad you gotta hardware reset. Friends who want to select music who have never seen it before all hate it.

Was this a SVN update? If so, then bear in mind that these are not intended to be stable updates. If this is the result of one of the stable updates, then it might be a bug which is peculiar to your system. I have had no such problems.

wwwitv pluggin is good but 90% of the time crashes the machine and requires CTRL ALT DEL to regain control.

Third party plugin. In general (I haven't tried this one, and have no idea who wrote it) they are only as good as the programmer. Stick with the basic setup until you get it working right.

Weather pluggin is nice but i get a satalite map of Germany when i live in the UK.

Well, there's the bit in settings where you paste the link to the satellite map. Since this is not downloaded automatically, I can only assume that the reason you are getting a map of Germany is because you have pasted the wrong link into this box.

I really would like Mediaportal to be good, but I am gonna see if I can use photomessa as a music browser. I suggest that a new music pluggin featuring a zoomable interface on the Jeff Raskin model mayhe the ultimate in usability for media browsers.

There's nothing wrong with MediaPortal. Sure there are rough edges and bits that don't quite work, but it is still in development. Take it easy and bear in mind that the programmers are not getting paid for their work! Spend a little time trying to find the solutions to your problems, and if you can't then ask nicely.

Mark

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have been trying to use mediaportal 2-3 months now. I have no TV or CD's or telephone anymore I gave them away thinking that mediaportal would supplant them all.

Why on earth would you put so much faith and reliance on BETA software?

I think you'll enjoy MP more right now if you look at it more as an evolving hobby, instead of a technical replacement for common daily tasks.

Are you just ranting, or are you trying the add some constructive criticisim? Im having dificulty determining what the case may be.

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2005
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi there, Skype plugin with stable 0.2.1 version works all day everyday with skypemate for me, could it be that you've made an error somewhere Joe the Po, your computer may be "100% stable" but i suspect you are not.

Try searching the extensive forum available here for each of your problems and in no time i'm sure she'll be right. I use MP instead of TV, DVD, Radio, CD, & Skypephone and it gives me stuff like my weather, etc which i had never even considered. It did not all work at first when i got into it this September 2005 but with patience, perseverance and a bit of common sense it's the most amazing piece of kit.

Hope you get sorted soon

enjoy m.

BronxBomber

Portal Member
    September 3, 2006
    Forget all that. Too many times before I have heard people complain about the software not working properly. Most likely, you don't have the proper settings, and that is by user fault. I have had the first problem tonight as a matter of fact. Heck I'm running it, latest build, with both the keybaord and remote working with a bit of tweaking mind you. If the rest of us can do it then should be able as well

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    MediaPortal is driving me mad AS WELL:
    It drives me mad to have such a nice piece of software in my study while I can not (yet) afford a htpc for my TV room :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom