Mediaportal is really slow after resuming from sleep. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have just upgraded my standalone MP1.2.2 setup with a new CPU/Mobo and have now got (for the first time) things running perfectly, but I have now noticed a strange issue that I have not noticed until now.

I have the HTPC to go into Hybrid Sleep, which workes perfectly, but I notice that after a couple of days (usually 2 to 3), when I resume from sleep, the whole system seems really slow. It does not crash - it just seems really sluggish.

It is absolutely fine after a restart and this is the problem - as I used to have so many problems with Mediaportal until now, I was restarting HTPC on a daily basis, so this problem has only just cropped up now.

I have got 8GB in the HTPC (4GB is being used as a RamDisk) and I am running the OS,Mediaportal from a SSD.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I need more RAM, though this does seem unlikely.

Does any one else have this problem or any suggestions as how best to solve this?

Thanks very much.

Alex

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
Just a thought is it the sleep mode itself that is causing problems - i.e. hybrid sleep?

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi

i got the same problem, sometimes. But for me its not really slow but i got stuttering inside Live-TV and the menu...the kind of stuttering you get when you set the wrong refreshrate. I really dont know why cause its not every time the HTPC resume from suspend. I use the normal Standby (S3) state.
    I think that this happens when the HTPC is going to suspend while a Movie or TV is played. I will test some options over the weekend when i got time.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Same here old chap - I am using S3 as well. Really strange. Any suggestions for a solution would be greatly appreciated if you come accross anything. I shall have also have a scan of the web over the weekend and shall post back with anything that might form a solution.

Thanks

corporate_gadfly

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Is it possible to monitor your CPU usage when you are seeing slow response? Perhaps, CPU is pegged at 100% doing something else (within Mediaportal). Compare that with regular CPU usage. Just an idea?

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    That is a really good point. I assumed that it might be a problem with memory but there is always the possibility of the processor going flat out for some reason.
    I shall start task manager and write down what is happening in terms of CPU, RAM etc. and then try it again when it next starts to run slowly following resume and see if there is a noticable difference.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    I have just got in from work and having turned the HTPC on, there was quite a pause with a black screen before the homepage came up and then it was as slow as ever - even loading the epg took a good few seconds whereas usually it would be instant.

Task Manager said:

CPU usage = 9%
    Memory = 5.47%

Physical Memory
    Total = 8039
    Cached = 2486
    Available = 2437
    Free = 12

Kernel Memory (MB)
    Paged = 446
    Nonpaged = 66

System
    Handles = 94361
    Threads = 837
    Processes = 57
    Up Time = 0:07:05:12
    Commit (GB) = 6/15

Processes = 57
    CPU Usage = 11%
    Physical Memory = 69%

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Interesting - I have just read on another forum that my problem might be cause by my using Hybrid Sleep. Not only is supposedly bad for SSDs (though I thought that modern SSDs like my 64GB Crucial M4 had no problem with this), but more importantly for me it can make the PC sluggish upon resume.

I shall change to sleep only mode and see if that makes any difference.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there

I havent run hybrid sleep in a year or two - I cant see a point on a HTPC.

If I recall when I had it enabled, I had standby issues when it would BSOD.

Its crazy to have it enabled if running a RAM drive (depending on product) as it can slow down the standby process no end (which is probably what caused by BSOD issue - due to timing)

J.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Jay,

I am not sure I understand the problem of having a RAM Disk as well as hybrid sleep turned on - would you mind just clarifying please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom