MediaPortal not working after Vista SP2 update... Please, not back to WMC (1 Viewer)

Frankenberry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Windows Vista updated from SP1 to SP2, now every time I start MediaPortal all I get is a WHITE BLANK SCREEN. I can use MP tvserver & MP config, but not MP itself. I have been trying for weeks to fix this. I've looked over the logs, but obviously I don't understand them.

I did a complete uninstall of MP, I did fresh installs of MP v1.0.2 and 1.1.0 Beta... same thing on all. I have installed K-lites latest codec pack, checked installed codec's with filmerit, reinstalled my sound and video drivers to the latest drivers. I have scanned the computer for virus's, numerous registry repairs. I get TV picture using tvserver's configuration preview. I haven't spent time adding channels or plugins until I can at least get some sort of menu on MP's start page.

I've used MP for years now, but this time I AM GOING NUTS!!! I do not!!! want to go back to Vista's Media Center. I have searched the forums over and over, with no luck. Please... if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it, anything would be useful. I miss MediaPortal.

Sorry for the long winded plea for help!

Thank You, John

Attachments

• MediaPortal screenshot.JPG
      MediaPortal screenshot.JPG
      30.1 KB
    • filmerit.zip
      99.4 KB

LeGuin

Portal Member
    April 25, 2009
    Jonstrup
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I have the same prolem... Had spent a whole week setting up server and client. Reported that everything worked to my wife. And alas, during the night SP2 had been installed and MP shows only white (windowed) or nothing (fullscreen)...
    Would a reinstall cure it??

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The logs indicate DirectX problems - it's throwing memory exceptions when it tries to render anything to the screen (as far as I can tell) - hence the white screen....

Have you tried updating the DirectX runtime ? - Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime

I'd also check the .NET stuff - http://www.microsoft.com/net/Download.aspx

Otherwise, it should be possible to uninstall the SP2 package or use system restore (part of 'system protection' in Vista) to get back to a pre-SP2 state (provided your restore points go back far enough).

Personally I never let Windows automatically install updates - I just let it flag them up so I can chose when/if they get installed.

MP should work with SP2 - I installed SP2 when it came out and it's been OK.

Tony

Frankenberry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Tony, thanks I will give this a look...keep your fingers crossed!

Frankenberry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 16, 2008
    Home Country
    To this point...

Ok, so I updated DirectX runtime, did the .Net stuff and all other updates I could think of... nothing worked... So I uninstalled SP2... huh... now MediaPortal is working... IDK... Anyways now it's time to get MediaPortal running back to normal again, skins, Irss and such.

Thanks again Tony for the help, I would not have thought of uninstalling SP2, didn't know I could.

If anyone knows why SP2 would cause such a problem let me know as I would like to be able to reinstall it in the future. I'm going to check with MicroSoft and see if I can find a answer, wish me luck....lol.

Anyways after about a month without MediaPortal maybe now I can dump WMC again...yuck what a pain in the .......

:D John

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom