Mediaportal recommended remote (1 Viewer)

glenb83

Portal Pro
April 24, 2009
Home Country
Hi all,

I have tried using 3 different remotes now with media portal, and I have never actually gotten it to 'just work'. I have used a generic media centre style remote with a usb receiver that came bundled with power cinema. This remote had poor range (alot of key presses weren't picked up) and I was only able to get basic playback features working with keyboard input plugin, no number buttons etc.

2nd remote was a media centre remote bundled with a compro videomate vista T100 - I wasnt able to get this remote to work at all.

3rd remote is my current remote, a Leadtek Y04G0051 (new style) with option of leadtek buttons or MCE mode. This remote has good range, but I have only been able to get basic functions working with this remote aswell using cool receiver plugin (apparently the new version cannot be fully compatible with this plugin, a problem with the leadtek s/w and this particular remote).

What I want to know, is there a remote that is 'recommended' for media portal, ie it works out of the box with no plugins, and can be purchased standalone, is not bundled with anything else (preferably usb receiver)? Or is there a universal remote I can purchase and program with a code that works for mediaportal? I just want to be able to get all the buttons working the way they should!

UnknownSourc

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 17, 2009
    Okinawa, Japan
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a Logitech Harmony 890 Pro, that I use with a Streamzap receiver. The Harmony 890 will emulate the streamzap no problem, but like you, I could only get basic functions to work. I found LMRemoteKeymap gets me a little more functionality by mapping buttons to keypresses or macros.

I think I'll have trouble when I make the move to 7 x64 (drivers for the streamzap are... dated), so I'll have to find an updated receiver, probably just make a USB-UIRT or grab a used MCE remote/receiver on ebay.

I know you're looking for an out-of-the-box solution, and this isn't, but I find it works quite well.

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Turns out I can get my hands on a Dick Smith DSE G1214 8-in-1 universal touch screen remote at no cost. Anyone had any experience with these and mediaportal?

*Edit*
    I just found out that this remote is a rebadge of a Sunwave 3000B if anyone is familiar with this remote?

Shangostar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Somerset
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use this remote bought from here

Shape HTPC Remote Control

Works a treat in MP right out of the box as it is in the MP remote section already, although under a different name.
    Pretty much all the buttons do their job under Vista however some buttons like the s1-4 are mapped to something in windows by default so if pushed by accident while in mediaportal you will find various different things have occurred under mediaportal once you close it.

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    I managed to get my DSE universal remote setup nicely for my media centre. I am trying to set one up for my parents though and need a cheap remote that is easy to use for them. They basically just need all the basic navigation buttons and basic playback buttons. I found this remote, has anyone got one?

Digital Star Computer - Detail

ozpanda

Portal Member
    April 20, 2010
    Home Country
    I would love an answer too! I have a Leadtek DTV2000DS twin tuner card and remote. The remote works in perefectly in Win7 Media Centre and in the bundled software TOTAL MEDIA. However, alas, the remote won't work with MediaPortal....any solutions?

J

joostzilla

Save some more money and go straight for the best remote of the moment: Logitech Harmony One.
    Works great with MP. (an extra ir receiver in required though)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Save a little less money and buy the HP MCE remote receiver/blaster. Uses the eHome drivers, works out of the box with MP and can do blasting as well.

I just got one new from eBay for less than 15€ including shipment. Just noticed the price increased, it is now 15.03€!

I use it to control MP, blast Volume, mute and power to my amplifier and to blast power to the projector.

VdR

remote002-1B.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom