MediaPortal stopped making sound anywhere (1 Viewer)

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since a few days I've triggered a fascinating problem in MediaPortal - after some codec tweaking in Windows MediaPortal has stopped making sound. Not in movies etc (where you would expect it after codec playing) but in all the native sections: the Music and Last.fm streaming sections and even on the home screen the clicks when browsing menu options have disappeared.

There are no errors whatsoever in the logs, and no matter if I use the BASS or dsound engines they all start up perfectly fine, and even appear to work fine to the point where equalizers, visualizations and timers all work fine.

The sound worked fine for over a week, everywhere else in Windows the sound works fine (including MediaPlayer and Windows Media Center), all the latest sound drivers are installed, all custom codecs are uninstalled now, and even a full MediaPortal uninstall and reinstall didn't fix anything: same behaviour after starting up. I'm about to reinstall the system, but to help future users I'd like to find the cause of the problem so it can be documented and perhaps detected by the software or anything.

So, anyone have any suggestions where I should look to find the cause of this problem?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Windows Vista :)

Run MP in windowed mode (alt-enter), play a file with sound.

Now go to the system tray sound icon and select mixer, you will find mediaportal volume has been disabled, just re-eneble and all should be fine.

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well it's actually Windows 7 in this specific case but that's near enough to Vista ;) I'll test the solution this evening when I get home.

Isn't this something MediaPortal should test for or correct? The code to access the Windows mixer controls isn't too complex to write.

Curry

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2009
    Eindhoven
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well this was indeed it - weird how it ever got disabled at all. Cheers man :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom