Mediaportal V1.0.2 and FFDshow DXVA (1 Viewer)

Quake505

Portal Pro
May 23, 2009
Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been raised but I did a quick search and couldn't find an answer.

I'm using V1.0.2 and would like to know if its possible to use FFDshow DXVA video decoder codec for H264 streams, this codec seems to be a lot better then the others I have installed on my HTPC.

The problem seems to be with TsReader and FFDshow agreeing a pin connection, I have tried it in Graphedit with no joy, but the same file can be loaded with Haali Media Splitter and FFDshow with no problems.

The reason why I want to use FFDshow is for several reasons: -

1. CoreAVC 2.0

Has problems with channel changes between H264 feeds that are interlaced and not.
seems to fail when skipping forward or backwards.
De-interlacing is bad on any setting.
uses between 50 - 60% of my CPU when decoding (very high) with cuda and DXVA.

2. PDVD7.x H.264.AVC decoder

Hates Interlaced streams (most sport channels for me), just seems to drop frames and skip.
Looks great on Non-interlaced streams (film channels).
Channel changes and FF / FR work great.
uses between 50-60% of my CPU with DXVA enabled (very high)

3. FFDshow (non-DXVA)

Fails in MP.

4. MPC - Video Decoder

Fails in MP

FFDshow in Windows MP or Graphedit looks great with interlaced TS files, the CPU usage when playing back is around 10% and no skipping or interlaced visual problems.

I'm using FFDshow release on the 18th March 2010 (1.1.3326.0), and TS reader with MP V1.0.2 created on the 5th May 2009.

Thanks for your help.

Quake505

Guys,

Looks like I may have this working by using the latest version of the TSreader in the 1.1.0 RC1 release, just giving it a try but it links in graphedit

Felipe_Zanon

Portal Member
December 23, 2009
Hello,

Im a Mediaportal user for 1 year and i have spent a lot of time comparing codecs and players, so here are my comments. Hope it can help you.

1) Agree that CoreAVC have bad de-interlacing, however using 60% of CPU power WITH Cuda is not right. Probably it is not using cuda. Check the codec options to ensure that it is enabled.

2) About Cyberlink PDVD codec, have you tried PDVD9 codec? You can find it on HD Pack v2.3

3) No comments, never used it for video (only audio)

4) Man, i used Mediaportal 1.0.2.0 with MPC video decoder for 6 months and everything worked perfect. DXVA worked flawlesly. I have a geforce 9300 and Windows 7. Can you tell me details about what is wrong?

About this new FFDShow video decoder with DXVA, i will try it and then i can post y opinion.

Regards,

felipe.

Quake505

Portal Pro
May 23, 2009
Hi Felipe_Zanon,

Thanks for your input,

1, Yes it is using Cuda, the icon turns green.

2, Nope, will give it a go tomorrow.

The TSreader from 1.1 RC1 works and allows me to use FFDshow DXVA in V 1.0.2.

Here is my findings so far: -

Good
1. Very low CPU usage, around 30%.
2. Works great on Interlaced H264 feeds (the best I've used so far)
3. Works good on progressive feeds.

Bad
1. Has a problem with BBC HD on Freesat (Astra 28), fails in MP and using Graphedit the picture is converted to a 4:3 picture.
2. The graph does not shutdown correctly, the FFDShow icons keep building up at the bottom right when changing channels (I don't believe this is a TSReader issue because Core works fine).
3. Most of the time when the video starts (like changing channels) the picture starts swapping with the first frane, this is fixed by performing a 15sec rewind skip, again this looks like a FFDshow issue because I get the same issue when using it in Graphedit a the Haali Media Splitter filter.
4. sometimes the picture will freeze, fixed by a quick skip forward or reverse.

Can't wait for newer versions, already going to use this codec when watching interlaced feeds.

Quake505

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom