Meedios vs Media Portal (1 Viewer)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    For the last day or so, I have been 'playing' with Meedios - in an attempt to see which media platform I preferred.

Some observations:
    1. Meedios seems to have a MUCH slicker interface - I don't know if it's just a skin thing but the UI seems more refined. (I tried 3 or 4 skins)
    2. MP is SOOOOOO much easier to setup! There seems to be hundreds of 'importers' for Meedios - in truth i got bored trying to import my media!
    3. Meedios is great at updating itself - something I would love to see in MP
    4. Meedios has a great little internal checker - again something I would love!
    5. The movie importer seems to be more accurate than that in MP - certainly better at getting poster images.
    In general I prefer MP - mainly 'cos it's much simpler and easier to achieve a great looking setup. I would however, suggest that Meedios does have some great little touches and think it can provide some great ideas for MP development.

I would love to hear your responses / experiences... (if any!)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Took me a while to figure out the way they import files, ie add shortcuts from folder to be added.

Did try this for a few days, but it crashed quite frequently, something MP has not done for quite some time.

Also you have to define meedio against meedios, which is very basic, the version of ultimate is the one owned but released by yahoo AFAIK.

ewiles

Portal Member
    November 6, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Having made the switch from Meedio to MP I have a few more things to add that Meedio does really well:

1. Great database management. Everything in MP (music, videos, movies, photos) is stored in a database that can be easily accessed and modified within the configuration editor.
    2. Simple core. Essentially Meedio is just a message manager and handler. Everything else is a plugin. When you play a song Meedio sends a message to the music player plugin. This enabled some very slick and easy to develop third-party mods, which have really kept the project afloat in its latest incarnation - Meedios.
    3. Customizable interface. If all you want is music and movies you can choose to remove the icons for everything else. You can also put them in submenus of your choice (instead of lumping them all together in "plugins").

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Oblligatory "Wait for MP2 and MeediOS". Once they are both out we can compare!

IMO they are both truly excelent. Its a personal preference over which is better suited or a person.

mcraenz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does MeediOS have TV Support? To me the TV Support offered by TVServer is what sets MediaPortal part from anything else. And that's the hard stuff, all those hardware types and all those different broadcasters!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Does MeediOS have TV Support? To me the TV Support offered by TVServer is what sets MediaPortal part from anything else. And that's the hard stuff, all those hardware types and all those different broadcasters!

AFAIK they are useing TVServer with their own plugin, this at the moment allows channel change\timeshifting only.
    No recording\scheduler\epg.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

Yes, as mentioned, they will use the TVServer from MP. This is great for me, as I think thhe music and Video parts of MP and MeediOS are pretty similr, its TV support that set them apart - but with both using the same TVServer - I can pick and choose my client! MeediOS one day, MP the other.

To be honest though, MP1 is working so well at the moment i'm reluctant to change or upgrade it. But then the geek kicks in and i must get the newest and best! (even if it does break everything and drive the GF insane!)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    To be honest though, MP1 is working so well at the moment i'm reluctant to change or upgrade it. But then the geek kicks in and i must get the newest and best! (even if it does break everything and drive the GF insane!)

His'n'Hers springs to mind here :)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    His'n'Hers springs to mind here :)

Originally i'd planned to have two HD's - one for development, the other for Live. Didnt really work out though. I do think I should probably make a backup of the MP PC though - as its all working so well, would hate to lose it!

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Originally i'd planned to have two HD's - one for development, the other for Live. Didnt really work out though. I do think I should probably make a backup of the MP PC though - as its all working so well, would hate to lose it!

create an image using acronis true image. then if u mess it up, its a matter of restoring the image and in 15 min all working again. and with just 3 or 4 keypress to restore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom