h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: MCE
TV: Samsung 50c96
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

Memory usage of TV Server will increase every time a new timeshift session is started and will not be regained when session finish. I noticed this when using TvServerStressTest to test stability and was running a lot of start/stop timeshift. Memory usage increased from about 35MB at start to over 500MB at end.

To reproduce:

1) Check memory usage using task manager
2) Run TvserverStressTest
3) Check mempory use increase after each iteration

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I cannot confirm this. I runned stress test with 100 iterations, with no handle & memory & thread count increasing....
    I would check buggy directshow filters or device driver...
    regs,
    te3hpurp

bermag

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I cannot confirm this. I runned stress test with 100 iterations, with no handle & memory & thread count increasing....
    I would check buggy directshow filters or device driver...
    regs,
    te3hpurp

Are DirectShow filters involved even when not displaying any tv on screen, li in this case when only sending channel change request to server?

Which device drivers might be buggy, tuner card?

Anyway, another strange thing I notice is that for every time a new connection is started (either from TV Server or when turning on TV in MP), epg log get written to. This happens even when I have turned off EPG grabbing. I have entries like this in epg.log:

2008-11-10 11:21:40.171875 [32]: EPG: grabber stopped..
    2008-11-10 11:21:42.703125 [32]: EPG: grabber initialized for 1 transponders..
    2008-11-10 11:21:42.718750 [32]: EPG: grabber stopped..
    2008-11-10 11:21:45.031250 [32]: EPG: grabber initialized for 1 transponders..
    2008-11-10 11:21:45.046875 [32]: EPG: grabber stopped..
    2008-11-10 11:21:47.625000 [32]: EPG: grabber initialized for 1 transponders..
    2008-11-10 11:21:47.625000 [32]: EPG: grabber stopped..

Do you get that as well? Maybe not a problem

And Tourette, no CAM involved and only using FTA channels.

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi.

Well, what i have is: One tt-budget s2 3200 & pinnacle dvb-t 70e usb tuner, both were used in stress test. tt-bugdet has cam, and it uses it.

regs,
    te3hpurp

andreaswith

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 4, 2006
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I've also get this. I've got 1 gb ram, and I need to restart when TV-service is using about 500 mb, since it affect performance in browsing (EPG, music, videos etc.). Not very WAF-friendly:)

Using analoge cards and singleseat, plain RC3.

Andreas

davitzen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 30, 2008
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I stressed my TVServer, too. SQLServer and TVService were using 950MB of ram, this is too much. But I'm having 4GB of ram.

best regards

David

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have similar setup (although running later SVN), and I have no such problems (none noticed, anyway).

Also:
    How to start a support or bugreport thread:
    1. Choose a meaningful title for your thread.
    2. Report only one problem per thread.
    3. At the moment you start a new thread in the support forums, the hardwarespecification template will be added automatically. If the template is empty, then you have not filled out your specifications in the usercp yet.
      Note: Your report MUST include a complete hardwarespecification!
    4. Add a detailed, step by step description of your problem.
    5. If your problem occurs inside MediaPortal or the configuration program, then run the "MediaPortal Logs Collector" from your Windows Start Menu (Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal) and ATTACH the exported log.zip file to your thread/post.
      Without logs it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to help you!

To create clean and conclusive logs you should use the "MediaPortal Debug" shortcut which will start MediaPortal in a special debug mode. Then you reproduce the issue and close MediaPortal. A log.zip will be created automatically which you then attach to your thread/post
      If you are using the TV-Server and it is installed on a different PC, then you have to attach its logs by hand.
      To do that open your Windows StartMenu and click at "TV-Server Logs Folder" in Team MediaPortal/TV-Server.
      Attach all these files to your thread/post.
    6. Do NOT copy/paste your logfiles (or large parts of them) in your post.
    Please note that support threads, which are missing the required information posted above will not be processed and maybe also deleted.
    :D

In short:
    6be21cc66e54c339d1f86a19d4e2a678.png

--- PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT THIS MESSAGE ---
    Logs and system specs should always be added - just in case

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    SQL server memory usage is not important. Its dynamic and will always allocate more than it needs because it manages its own memory, and release as necessary to the system. You can set it to a lower maximum value (at your own peril) in the SQL management studio ( I believe).

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I stressed my TVServer, too. SQLServer and TVService were using 950MB of ram, this is too much. But I'm having 4GB of ram.
    There isn't much point in having all that RAM if something isn't going to use it. SQL will use what is available to it, and so it should. Just like Vista grabs all the RAM it can for caching, I have no problem with that, after spending all that money on RAM, it's great that something is capable of using it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom