Menu button should only do something when a dvd is playing. It's not a start button. (1 Viewer)

ender

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    Memory: 2Gb DDR2
    Motherboard: Asus P5GDC-V
    Motherboard Chipset:
    Motherboard Bios: AMI 10011.006
    Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 6600v+
    Video Card Driver: Forceware 81.98
    Sound Card: C-Media High Definition Audio
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 5.12.01.0008.62
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCII
    1. TV Card Type: analog
    1. TV Card Driver: Hauppauge 2.0.35.23348
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    Video Codec: NVIDIA Video Decoder
    Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: UPC Cable
    HTPC Case:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: MCE Remote
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

After some of the recent changes.. pressing the menu button on the remote starts the dvd.
    First of all, the menu button is not the start button. To start a dvd we have to press play. Please let's keep the button mapping as meaningfull as possible.

But a bigger problem is that the user cannot predict what will happen. If you have 3 dvd players and 5 mounted ISOs then what will start to play? The least bad thing you can do is show a popup asking if the user wants to play a dvd and where he can pick which to play.

=======================
    Remotely related and also a problem is the Play DVD button in MP. It should also ask what to play if there are more things that can be started. I'll probably report that some other time.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    This is the "new" behaviour to that button the same as My TV, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, Recorded TV, Guide, Live TV & finally the DVD Menu button which starts the DVD (as does MCE if you have tested) & I think it starts the first DVD player there is (I Haven't tested this yet).

I like this change because it is "natural" behaviour compared to other buttons.
    If it should ask which to play - maybe - but many ppl doesn't have lots of dvd players on a HTPC. ;)

Regards
    Roy

ender

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Well, first of all, many ppl also do not have two monitors attached to a computer and still nvidia writes features to support this. So..that's not an argument ;-). Besides, many people use deamon tools to play dvd rips and since these mounts remain mounted after MP restarts, they will end up with more than one dvd drive. If you want high quality user experience, then look for the details in UI design ;-)

Ok, second.. you say this behaviour is in all MP sections. If you mean that starting the dvd is this behaviour then yeah, it's consequent. But in a wrong way if you ask me (please don't use MCE as an argument and please don't have microsoft software as an example of good UI design). I still think that the play button is to start something (in the context of where you are).
    But ok, if this is a shortcut to start the dvd then the user should be given the option (when applicable) to choose what to start.

And.. if you all agree then I think this should land in MP after 0.2 is release :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom