Menu style (1 Viewer)

Kjetil

December 19, 2006
Home Country
Norway Norway
Hi

Is it possible to change the order of menu-items? or change their name?
I have changed the setting for disabling the "My" prefix, but that does not apply to some of the plugins; "My TV Series" and "My Music Videos" still has the "My" prefix!

I came from meedio, but I dont expect the same freedom of editing menu as meedio, but the order of menu items and editing the names of the items would be nice!
And creating my own custom sub-menus would be awesome!;)

Another thing is the way the video database scans my folders for videos, and uses the name of the file as movie title, instead of the name of the folder! Im used to having each movie in its own folder with a folder.jpg (cover) and filename.srt (subtitle) in it! Is it possible to make mediaportal work with my current folder setup?

One thing that I never got in Meedio, was an alternative database system based on xml files!
Since I have a htpc in the bedroom which uses the movies on my living room htpc, it would be much faster to just download the info on one htpc, and it would work on both, instead of creating a database on both htpc's!
Like this:
d:\movies\16 blocks\16blocks.avi
d:\movies\16 blocks\cover.jpg
d:\movies\16 blocks\info.xml

Im quite new to mediaportal, so I dont know if this is possible or not, but I am thankful for every answer I receive!

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi

Is it possible to change the order of menu-items? or change their name?
I have changed the setting for disabling the "My" prefix, but that does not apply to some of the plugins; "My TV Series" and "My Music Videos" still has the "My" prefix!

I came from meedio, but I dont expect the same freedom of editing menu as meedio, but the order of menu items and editing the names of the items would be nice!
And creating my own custom sub-menus would be awesome!;)
That was possible in earlier versions, but the very bad coded stuff has been removed and replaced with new code. This is not fully done yet, it's still being worked on. Yes, menu ordering etc. will be possible again then.

About the rest: Partly possible. Before we dive too deep into theory crap, let's see how other Meedio "transformers" managed to get used to the MediaPortal way and how they got the best of it. There are some of those guys around here.

zag2me

Portal Pro
April 11, 2006
Home Country
England England
Would also be cool to have the possibility of touch screen buttons instead of the traditional scrolling menu items. So the user can go right, left, up and down, instead of just vertical scrolling. Makes an HTPC much nicer to use imo.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Would also be cool to have the possibility of touch screen buttons instead of the traditional scrolling menu items. So the user can go right, left, up and down, instead of just vertical scrolling. Makes an HTPC much nicer to use imo.
That's what the basic homescreen does (with limited list of modules, tho).

Kjetil

December 19, 2006
Home Country
Norway Norway
Thanks for clearing that up!

When it comes to movies is there a guide on how I should arrange folders and filenames? it gets messed up when I scan, even if the filename is the title of the movie and so on!

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    One question regarding the homescreen. What was the reason behind limiting the modules/plugins which could be used on the homescreen?

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One question regarding the homescreen. What was the reason behind limiting the modules/plugins which could be used on the homescreen?
    ..because it's not configurable, it's hardcoded. And because the initial idea was having it just "basic" (thus the name), a selection of the most needed parts has been made.
    If you want it unlimited, you'd need to get someone to make it configurable or you do it on your own. ;)

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Now back to topic, how do you guys organize your files? The original poster is still waiting for good suggestions on various ways how others do it. ;)

Nemulate

Portal Pro
    December 29, 2005
    IOW
    Home Country
    England England
    I have a 'media' folder and then subfolders for music, movies, videos and pictures. For movies and video file files they are all in a single folder and obviously correctly named so that MP identifies them and can do imdb lookups etc. Music is divided into subfolders for artists and then folders for individual albums. Hope this makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom