methods of using TV server - discussion thread (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Many people were asking us in the forums how the new TV-Server/Client concept will work. The attached files should answer your questions.

The developement is coming along very nicely. Developers and testers are very busy at the moment. :)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    very nicely done infinityloop, probably clear up some questions so you guys dont' have to answer them over and over :), glad to hear its working nicely, looking forward to it. keep up the good work

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks chris, that's really professional stuff.

Just one clarification. Any PC that is operating as a server (Single Server, Master Server, or Slave Server) can also be running as a client at the same time, right?

Cheers,

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Canberra
    Home Country
    and-81,
    I believe the answer is yes, not sure if it would help or not having a dedicated server taking some of the strain off the htpc, i would imagine it would actually be better to have a dedicated server and a seperate htpc , but i'm only guessing

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Just one clarification. Any PC that is operating as a server (Single Server, Master Server, or Slave Server) can also be running as a client at the same time, right?
    Yes. you can also install the MediaPortal Client on a slave or master server.

i would imagine it would actually be better to have a dedicated server and a seperate htpc , but i'm only guessing
    from the usability point of view, i would say yes.

the dedicated server(s) were running 24/7. doing recordings, grabbing epg, hosting other mediafiles if you want.
    and client(s) just connect to get the files (videos, pictures, music), watch tv, listen radio, schedule recordings ect.

but at the end, the way how you will configure your setup will be a decision which everyone has to do for his own.

i will definitly run dedicated serve(s). ;)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    And-81, that was my biggest question too, thanks for clearing it up guys :)

For example, I have two MP machines at the moment. With the new server architecture, I want to have both machines as servers and still use them as clients. This way if the downstairs machine wants to record three shows at once, then it can use the cards from all machines in the house. The user will not have to care about enough tuner cards or where the recording goes, it will all "just work". This is way important to the WAF.

Excellent work to all the devs, this is going to soooo rock :)

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    A quick question,

Why is MS SQL server used in favour of an opensource database type like MySQL, PostgreSQL,MaxDB,Firebird or Ingrs ?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Why is MS SQL server used in favour of an opensource database type like MySQL, PostgreSQL,MaxDB,Firebird or Ingrs ?
    because its very nicely integrated into Visual Studio. which makes the developement much easier and effective.

btw. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is free.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    What kind of performance can one expect when using a wired or wireless connection between the server and client?

Does one have to buffer up to avoid video loss? What kind of mechanism is handling this? Does this mean that channel changes is slower than using an "internal" server?

Do you guys test wlan performance? Can one expect reliable transmission of 10mbit DVB tv over such a link? If not, are there any transcoding mechanisms planned?

regards
    Knut

BTW, I just heard that regular analog cable tv with ~800MHz bandwidth should be able to relay 6Gbps of data bandwidth under regular conditions. Really interesting. That is 10mbit for each of 600 users. Or 600 separate digital tv channels broadcast...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom