Microsoft Hotfixes not included in Windowsupdate , does anyone use them (1 Viewer)

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Found some hotfixes for windows XP which arent mentioned on the install list for mediaportal.
    Does anyone have them installed ?
    Firewire fix: (which is mentioned in the list MediaPortalRequirements - MediaPortal Wiki Documentation
    Performance of 1394 devices may decrease after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

However.. these arent ?
    Brief Description
    An issue has been identified with your Windows-based system that may cause problems when a DirectShow TV tuner program is tuned to receive a Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) video stream on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    Windows XP TV tuner program stops responding or displays corrupted video

Brief Description:
    Install this update to address several possible issues associated with connecting a Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2) device, such as an IEEE 1394 device, to a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer.
    An SBP-2 device does not work when it is connected to a Windows XP SP2-based computer

anyone used these ?

TV-Server Version: Build 14 03 08
    MediaPortal Version: Stable release 2.3.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue wide
    Windows Version: server: XP SP2 client: Vista ultimate
    CPU Type: server:x86 E6400 client:Q6600
    HDD: Server:Raid perc5i 6x750gb Samsung F1 Client:Areca Raid 1220 with 6x 250gb
    Memory: server & client: 2gb
    Motherboard: server&client Asus WS64 Professional client2: P5e-Hdmi
    Motherboard Chipset: via
    Motherboard Bios: Asus
    Video Card: Asus
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: onboard realtek hd audio
    Sound Card AC3: optical out
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: FloppyDTV
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    1. TV Card Driver: BDA 4.5.0N
    2. TV Card: FloppyDTV
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-C
    2. TV Card Driver: BDA 4.5.0N
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: FFDSHOW (libav)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDSHOW (libav)
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: home digital
    HTPC Case: Server: Antec p180 Client: Coolermaster
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Aopen 700 watt
    Remote: hauppage MCE
    TV: Samsung fullhd 46 inch LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: VGA 1920x1080

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Caution: the linked Psisdecd.dll of the 2nd article is rather outdated and might lead to issues like crashing when scanning channels, etc.

Just friday I've started on a detection method for that. Tomorrow's TVE3 build will include a warning message if this important file is outdated.

rich110

Portal Pro
    July 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Caution: the linked Psisdecd.dll of the 2nd article is rather outdated and might lead to issues like crashing when scanning channels, etc.

Just friday I've started on a detection method for that. Tomorrow's TVE3 build will include a warning message if this important file is outdated.

hi rtv,

I was just about to start a post asking a question about just this topic, but here might be a good place to ask (I hope its not too OT). I've been reading a bit in the TV3 nightly build thread about the the MS Update KB896626 you mentioned (see here). Am I right in assuming that this update replaces any existing Psisdecd.dll file, thus causing the WinXP 2 multiple BDA Hotfix (here) no longer work.

Also you mention that the Psisdecd.dll file in update is quite old, but the update was only released in August 2007.... why would MS use a two year old file (ie. the Psisdecd.dll file version in the update is from 2005) in a relatively new fix?

:D

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

thats rather weird ...
    i am confused now..

When i run the fireviewer helptool ..

its marked in red that this KB896626 is NOT installed..

since in a normal XP sp2 prof version (dont know about MCE edition or home edition)..
    the file psisdecd.dll is from 4-8-2004 0:56 if you do not have this patch installed
    which means the update link is newer and yes its needs to be installed :confused:

Never mind.. found it myself..
    this psisdecd.dll is included in the ripped patch with another file..
    since its no normal install of a patch but done by a runme.bat.. it registers the patch as missing..

but 1 thing left confusing to me..
    xp mce needs the rollup package (where the supposed patch comes from ).. and also this patch (according to firehelptool) .. that is confusing to me! why install the patch if its in the package already ?

anyone knows the answer to that ?

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    It would be better if the tuning details held within the Psisdecd.dll were now handled/updated by the MP team as even the latest from MS has missing/incorrect info for some regions and versions of DVB.(Waiting for MS to get things right can take a long time)

Flashing a warning about a possibly outdated file doesn't take this into account and only leads to panic from the MP user.

Also I see that w2k is also flagged as incompatable.

It would be preferable to have these error mesages logged in the TVSERVER log files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom