Microsoft Media Center 2005 Keyboard (1 Viewer)

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
He he... Just installed this one last night! Along with an MCE2005 remote (the keyboard only works with the IR receiver that comes with the remote). I'm in Oz, so got a nice bundle of both the keyboard & remote from http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_...e]=VI-MSMCEINPUTCOMBO&input[category_id]=1227

If you enable the MCE Remote (I chose Europe, since that is the model sold here) in the MP config, the keybooard works perfectly with mediaportal - all the remote buttons on the keyboard perform the same function as the buttons on the Remote.

You do need to install additional drivers for the keyboard (available from MS website), and these drivers are also available from Windows Update if you have MCE2005 OS.

Highly recommended!

I really like this keyboard - I only played with it for a little while, and the "trackpoint" mouse needs some tweaking, but other than that, it's a beauty!

A

Anonymous

Impressed ;)

Hi

Thanks for reply

I already have the european MCE remote, but i would like to have the MCE keyboard separetly sold.

Well i have to wait for the price to get lower and to get it sold here in europe (didnt find a retailer here.. yet ...that sells it)..

Since some remote keys are not used in MP (needs developement in color keys etc) i think that some MCE keyboard keys will not work has expected.

What i dont understand is why have the remote in a package with keyb when you can make it all just with the keyb.

I think that its possible to configure keyboard to send commands to tv or amplifier etc etc..rigth?...

I dont like to admit it but microsoft has some really nice ideias.. and sometimes they earn the money we pay for software/hardware. :D

Best Regards
Goahead

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Goahead,

Auspcmarket also sell the keyboard by itself, but I don't think they ship overseas.

I find the remote + keyboard combination works very well. Most of the time, I am using just the remote. The keyboard is handy for me if I need to do testing, etc that cannot be done via VNC. I imagine it is also useful for those that use their HTPC for things like Web Surfing & Chat (which I don't use at the moment).
Since some remote keys are not used in MP (needs developement in color keys etc) i think that some MCE keyboard keys will not work has expected.
I'm not sure what you mean about this? The "colour keys" on the remote work fine. Check out Smirnoff's description of what each one does here.

Which keyboard keys do you think will not work as expected?

A

Anonymous

Hi

Red: Toggle between fullscreen and windowed media playback

Green: Same as large MCE green button, returns you to the home window
(repeated funtion so not used in pratice) should be "clear" in "type boxes"

Yellow: Invokes the context-menu, where applicable.

Blue: Toggles between the various aspect ratios during media playback
(should be used for teletext)

The 3 buttons above the colored ones are also making the same functions of the colored ones.

From the keyboard it seems that those buttons are not present, so the only issue (dont have the keyb to test) should be only the messenger one...
does it invoke the MP messenger or the windows version!

Lets wait to see if MP 0.1.4.0 let us change the function keys.. it would be very nice.

By the way... does anyone have this one working with windows MCE and MP?
http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

I see in foruns that its not a very good one, but it works fairly fine... 80%
Rated 7 of 10

Best regards
Goahead

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Goahead - A virtual keyboard for the home theater? I'm wondering how would you use it? Type on your lap? In a home theater I could not invision the usage. But I guess if you were in the living room and could work out a coffee table design that would bring up the little laser projector and then you could type on top of the coffee table!

Mike

S

Smilez:)

Remote Keyboard looks wicked, my distributor has received first shippement, but when they do, I'm getting one for sure. Hate having to always move my big bluetooth keyboard from room to room. It will be nice to be able to use a keyboard with the same IR box the Remote controller uses. Selling price in Canada is $115CDN.

A

Anonymous

Rigth

Hi all

mzemina

Yep.. one wood coffe table is what i have in front of my sofa...but thats one thing to think about in near future, since i may buy one glass table.
    I am only using the remote for now, and i think its perfect for HTPC simple usage.
    Keyboard is an extra to use the computer not as htpc but as a normal office machine.
    My opinion is that the keyboard is great for games and internet,MSN, but to watch DVD, pictures, music, weather news etc etc i dont miss it much (apart of MP crashing... then keyboard is handy CRL-ALT-DEL :lol: )...

regards
    Goahead

waeberd

Portal Pro
    August 16, 2004
    Fribourg (CH)
    Re: Rigth

Hi Goahead,

couldn't resist and got this remote keyboard today along with a mce remote. Just checked it out in the office and can't wait to test this at home, working all very nicely!

(Had to update a driver from the microsoft site to get the keyboard working, but after that: good going).

I bought the two things here: http://www.brack.ch
    and I paid 162 Swiss Francs for both articles (=> about 105 Euro).
    Dunno if they ship outside of Switzerland though.

And yes, you need the original MCE remote receiver otherwise the keyboard won't run.

Looks like this is the end of GIRDER and of the FIREFLY remote on my htpc.
    Time to change my signature here :)

Regards,

Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom