Migrating From W7MCE to Mediaportal as HTPC front-end - questions (1 Viewer)

Mike_P15

Portal Member
August 23, 2011
I've had my HTPC up and running for about 18 months. The spec is in my signature, but my question relates to the front-end - I'm currently using W7 MCE, but I'm considering moving to MediaPortal.

(The reason for the change - one of the windows updates has changed the MCE functionality around sound. My gfx card supports DTS-HD, and this used to be working fine. However, since one of the windows updates installed, MCE won't configure the sound output correctly. As soon as MCE starts, the amp loses DTS-HD as the sound mode, and the MCE speaker setup isn't working correctly. Not much point having spent a load of money and effort on a HTPC setup and amp when you can't get decent audio output.)​

So I am considering migrating to Mediaportal, but before I make the change (and incur the risk of the WAF taking a hit) I've got a couple of questions.
I've looked in the wiki and forum, but can't find specific answers, so here goes:

• Will Mediaportal be able to access the TV recordings that I've made in MCE?
Obviously, with 18 months usage, there's a 'few' saved recordings that I still want to be able to view.​

• Will my remote setup be impacted.
I'm using a Harmony One emulating a MCE remote.​

• Blu-Ray support
I'm currently using PowerDVD for playing blu-ray disks. I can find little reference to blu-ray support on the website, forums or wiki. Is it supported in Mediaportal, or does Mediaportal integrate with PowerDVD?​

Thanks

Mike

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome Mike :)

Good questions...

Will Mediaportal be able to access the TV recordings that I've made in MCE?
    I *think* so, although I don't have any WTV files to test with. According to -->this<-- thread you simply need to add the wtv extension to the video format extension list.

Will my remote setup be impacted. I'm using a Harmony One emulating a MCE remote.
    MCE remotes are supported out of the box - I believe it should work fine.

Blu-Ray support. I'm currently using PowerDVD for playing blu-ray disks. I can find little reference to blu-ray support on the website, forums or wiki. Is it supported in Mediaportal, or does Mediaportal integrate with PowerDVD?
    Blu-ray is not yet supported natively, however there are plugins like BDHandler for it. You can also use an external player - see -->here<-- - so you could launch PDVD to handle them if you really want to.

mm

vinch100

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    • Will Mediaportal be able to access the TV recordings that I've made in MCE?
    Yes : https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/can-mediaportal-import-win-mce-dvr-ms-wtv-recordings-88736/

• Will my remote setup be impacted.
    I'm using a Harmony One emulating a MCE remote.​
    I depends on the model of your receiver : if you use a genuine MS Remote or compatbile, the only point you'll have to pay attention to is the Green Button : there is an "MPTray" module included in Mediaportal, but I use a 3rd party tool called EventGhost to do advanced actions.

• Blu-Ray support
    I'm currently using PowerDVD for playing blu-ray disks. I can find little reference to blu-ray support on the website, forums or wiki. Is it supported in Mediaportal, or does Mediaportal integrate with PowerDVD?​
    Two possibilities :
    - Bluray Handler cannot display any BluRay Menu but propose you to choose by video length on the disk... it work quite well
    - HD Starter should handle PowerDVD, but I never tested it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom