Migrating to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by cosmicmeadow, October 14, 2009.

1. cosmicmeadow

cosmicmeadow Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone,

I have been running MovingPictures on XP and I love it. My movie files are on a NAS and there is nothing on my PC except for MediaPortal and the plugins.

With Windows 7 around the corner, I plan to create another partition on my PC and setup MediaPortal there. My question is, how do I "migrate" all the MovingPictures database from my XP machine to my Windows 7 machine? Will a copy paste of certain folders be sufficient? Any tweaks or configuration required?

Thanks in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Der_Bub
    • Premium Supporter

Der_Bub MP Donator

Ratings:
    +60 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
  4. gshipley
    • Premium Supporter

gshipley MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    I would suggest sticking with XP if the *only* thing you use your HTPC is media portal and moving-pictures.

5. cosmicmeadow

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This works perfectly... thanks!

However, I encountered some XML problems with MovingPictures... some field positioning etc goes off...
    Otherwise... so far so good....

6. lillis_55

lillis_55 Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Can you please let me now how Mediaportal and Windows 7 works for you. Does everything works? Planing on installing windows 7 myself to try it.

7. cosmicmeadow

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MP on Win7...so far so good... got some problems with MovingPictures xmls... but fixed when I reinstalled StreamedMP.
    Occasionally MP will crash when I tweak something like installing codecs or something like that, but it seems to go away after a re-boot.

Overall, it is definitely worth it. EVR is so much better than VMR9... and my PC is now running faster and better (compared to XP).

Now, waiting for MovingPictures 0.8....

8. buddman
    • Premium Supporter

buddman MP Donator

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    One strange issue I've encountered with Windows 7 and Moving Pictures (though I also see it with MyTVSeries and MyAnime2) is that if I play a movie, leave the movie playing and then do a video input switch on my A/V receiver, say to my Wii input, or my cable box, and then switch back to my HTPC, MediaPortal has a black screen with no sound (basically frozen). If I do the same thing from within MPs MyVideos, no issue at all. Not necessarily a Moving Pictures problem, but it's something you'll run into in Windows 7.

Rather than the MPC-HC bug which was recently fixed, and some odd resolution switching issues when switching between inputs (which I sort of fixed), it's been a rather smooth switchover.

9. cosmicmeadow

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    buddman,

Sounds like a HDMI handshake problem. Check your device drivers for your GPU, get the latest for Win7.

edit...

Ouch! I just tried it and it happened to me too. Switching inputs on my LCD TV causes it to display incorrect colors... switching the TV off and on again does not fix it... have to go into Nvidia controls and make a change/reset. I am already using the latest nForce drivers from Nvidia which supposedly supports Windows 7.....

10. Jaybeam

Jaybeam Portal Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    I believe it's not a W7 related issue as it happens with my vista setup also. Not all the time tough. When it happens, all I can do to fix this is a hard reboot.

11. cosmicmeadow

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guess what? I downgraded the Nvidia firmware to one version below and the problem went away.... that's right folks, it's a Nvidia bug!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!