Ongoing Migration System, DVI-I to HDMI (1 Viewer)

jimmyeatappl

Portal Member
July 17, 2007
Alright this is mostly for my benefit to get everything needed in this upgrade out there. If any of you have suggestions, notice problems, or have support/experience please do not hesitate to post.

Alright my current set up with a Dell GX280, pictured here:
a93437_dell-gx280.jpg

It has a P4e 3.2 and a GB of ram. Gforce FX5500 with svideo and vga out.
It has a lowprofile PCI-E slot and 2 full size PCI slots.
It has a USB remote and a USB Wireless B card.

My current TV is too horrible to post a picture here, I don't want to break yall's monitors. Its a spherical 19", literally you see stuff you didn't catch if you stand behind it.

What I want to upgrade to is this and I need to know if there will be technical issues with this.
The TV will be a 26" or 32" HDTV capable of 720p @ 1366 x 768 pixils. 2 HDMI inputs and all the other fixings for the Wii360.
EC.ELE.FLX2610.JPG

I will be purchasing this video card. Its a 7300GS, with limited GPU acceleration for HD signal, but the P4 should be able to pick up the slack. The main thing is that it comes with a low profile bracket. That is a DVI-I port and an S-video, the VGA will be pulled.
14-145-137-07.jpg

My aim is to hook up the computer over the DVI-I port with a DVI to HDMI converter. I will install a widescreen skin to Media Portal. I will have the SD video from cable going directly into the back of the tv because I use media portal more as a way to get my dvd collection onto the television in a sleek, easy way, rather than a fully functional DVR. I have a 2.1 kilpsh pro media speaker system hooked up to the back of the computer for movies.

Has anyone else done it this way? What was your experience with the DVI-I to HDMI. How was the quality from the computer? Again, the HD DVR or even SD DVR can wait. I just want to watch movies on something where I can read the text and the entire thing doesn't look like it was filmed in a cave. I also want an HDTV LCD, so I am looking to do everything at once.

Jimbo

yatesd

Portal Pro
April 30, 2007
I have DVI -> HDMI on my PC to a Panasonic Plasma and picture is fantastic. I needed to do some playing around with a custom resolution to cure overscan issues but otherwise text is clear and colours beautiful.

First time I watched Planet Earth in HD that way I almost wept :)

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    You need to worry about whether the TV you're buying will overscan the HDMI/DVI connection.

For example: I can run my Samsung 40" at 1360x768 pixel resolution via VGA. On HDMI however I can only send it a small range of resolutions, and they get overscanned so that I cannot acheive 1:1 pixel mapping.

Hence I'm stuck with VGA, but I'd prefer the improved colour that would come from HDMI.

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
    May 28, 2006
    Den Bosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have DVI -> HDMI on my PC to a Panasonic Plasma and picture is fantastic. I needed to do some playing around with a custom resolution to cure overscan issues but otherwise text is clear and colours beautiful.

First time I watched Planet Earth in HD that way I almost wept :)

My sentiments exactly...
    Planet Earth in 1080P on my LCD (DVI ---> HDMI) looks sooooooo amazing!

I would go for the HD2400 lowprofile card (better HD decoding, means less work for the PC) it is cheap and good.

jimmyeatappl

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    Why get a 7300GS with a fan, there are quite a few passively cooled models to choose from like this one here

I would love to go with a passively cooled one but... here are the issues.

The one you listed is a full size card and thus will not fit in my low profile (width not height) slot on the back. The card I picked out wasn't set in stone, but its one of the few that come with a conversion bracket. The vga is attached via cable so you can remove it all together and put a smaller bracket on it.
    Bracket.gif

Notice the difference.

I was looking at one of these:
    14-141-049-08.jpg

This would be ideal but for 2 snags. 1, I would have to buy a separate l/p bracket. 2, its passive cooler is HUGE and might not fit between the PCI angle bracket and the PCI-E slot.
    picture2hr9.png

The video card goes on number 6, and has to fit between that and number 5, the pci angle adapter.

picture3zo0.png

A different shot. It looks like there is enough room but this could be not to scale. Objects of note are number 11 and number 12.

I would go for the HD2400 lowprofile card (better HD decoding, means less work for the PC) it is cheap and good.
    Hey, I am all for hardware acceleration. I would greatly appreciate a link :) Thanks

jimmyeatappl

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007
    Also, does anyone have recommendations for Nvidia/ATi(AMD) or generic based resolution modifiers? Because 1:1 preferred :)

jimmyeatappl

Portal Member
    July 17, 2007

Alright I did some digging and I found that will fit the bill in height and width. I think I can procure a L/P bracket. Its a PowerColor HD2400Pro
    14-131-063-09.jpg

I have to do more research because one of the listed features is the ability to send the digital audio stream over the DVI port when you have the DVI - HDMI adapter installed. I do not want this at this point (if ever) because I already have a good 2.1 system that uses a mini jack from the sound card. Eventually I will have a receiver and maybe then I will want the audio ported over. I just hope that people make receivers that allow for HDMI along with 5.1 or mini plug in and can band them together, rather than having the be-all end-all only HDMI input.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    one of the listed features is the ability to send the digital audio stream over the DVI port

I would not worry about that, still sounds a good alternative to the 7300.

See some of the reviews are recommending this card for it's Hi-Def playback acceleration.

Be aware that a passive cooled version is on its way, but as you have limited space, it is a good choice.

Would love some actual feedback on this card, as may warrant putting in the recommended hardware section.

BoelShit

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You need to worry about whether the TV you're buying will overscan the HDMI/DVI connection.

For example: I can run my Samsung 40" at 1360x768 pixel resolution via VGA. On HDMI however I can only send it a small range of resolutions, and they get overscanned so that I cannot acheive 1:1 pixel mapping.

Hence I'm stuck with VGA, but I'd prefer the improved colour that would come from HDMI.

Make sure you have the "Just scan" option on in Samsung image settings. If you dont have it call Samsung and ask for a newer firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom