Migration tool for 0.2.3.0 -> 1.0.0.0 RC1 ++ (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Started on: 2008-05-09
    last update: 2008-05-09
    Summary:
    Would like to propose a new tool for MP. A migration tool that takes backup of all your settings and databases, so that you can use the same data in 1.0.0.0 RC1++
    Area:
    Configuration
    Description:
    A migration tool that takes backup of your settings, thumbs, databases, plugins (that work with RC1), skins and possibly the settings made in the Configuration (if possible) and makes them ready for use in MP 1.0.0.0 RC1 and above. If the databases are incompitable it will convert them to make them compitable with RC1.

The only reason why I don't upgrade, is because I seriously do not want to sit down and reconfigure the My Videos database and all the other settings. I have used several days to make the setup work the way I want.

Regards,
    Bjarte

LXTR

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    It could be great!

I wish somebody could do it!

I can't update from 0.2.3.0 to 1.0.0.0 cause i have so much data i don't want to loose...

:(

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    A fool proof (not in a bad way) migration tool would take many man months to implement. I think its much better to spend that time in the MP itself (and MPII will get its share much sooner that way). All users should consider that every minute they spend on the manual migration is a minute given to the developers (and testers too) for the bug fixing.

Also please remember that if you have to spend few hours (or even few days in the worst case scenario) it's only a small portion of the free time that devs & testers have spent. For example today I had a peek on the summary that did show that based on my SVN commits I have giving 11 months of working time to the MP project, thats a 5 figure sum of money. So few hours or even days shouldnt matter. ...and the 11 months is not even close to the biggest contributors (not even a close...) So all kudos to every single person who has helped the project during the years.

...and its not the only reason. There have been lots of users that have corrupted setting files and databases (for different reasons like MP bugs, user errors and HW errors) and those issues have also took their toll on the developers and testers time. This is a really good opportunity to get rid of the those issues that are causing false bug reports.

ps. Petsa's manual approach is a good way to save some work, but please rememeber that when you copy the old config or DB stuff you shouldn't be making any bug reports with that kind of installs. Most likely it will work, but don't report any bugs as it could be causing wasted hours for devs and testers :)

sleepycol

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Tourettes, we all appreciate devs time and effort. However, I think you are asking too much to expect users to just lose all their hard work in setting MP 0.2.3 up. "normal" end users will not want to do this kind of technical file copying and making sure they get all the files they need. Especially as exactly which files you need is based on rumours in forums.
    Why not just write a small tool that simply backs up all users settings AS A MINIMUM so that users can go back to 0.2.3 once they realise they have lost EVERYTHING by installing RC1.

Then have an option which lets you restore these user files over the RC1 files. ESPECIALLY THE VIDEO INFO AND TV CHANNELS AND ASSOCIATED THUMBS. The rest can be re-scanned fairly easily, eg music as mp3 files hold all the info.

Put a disclaimer on this tool if you really want to.

Devs must listen to the users on this one, please. Its vital for end users to be able to keep all their hard work..Please understand this. Most users are not interested in repeating this work even if you think its trivial. Its certainly not trivial to me and I really dont want to upgrade until a migration tool is available.

Please make a migration tool someone. this is very important to a lot of users.....

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Enough said by tourettes..

I do not like to do that but this thread is closed now as any argument on that topic is pointless.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom