Milkdrop Vis. with ASIO (1 Viewer)

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi,

I'm wondering about the functionality of the Milkdrop vis. when used with ASIO playback. I'm using Milkdrop v2.1 & ASIO4ALL.

When I have the vis. displayed while playing music through the BASS player, without ASIO, the vis. is 'reactive' to the music that's being played - all is as it should be. However, when I play with ASIO, the vis. displays but does not seem to react at all to what's playing - no waveforms, just straight edges and perfect circles; no 'pulsing' effects, nothing. It's really quite boring when it doesn't react to the music!

I'm wondering, since ASIO bypasses the Windows mixer, does it perhaps not provide any 'input' to the Milkdrop vis. for it to 'react' to? If this is the case, I guess there's not much to be done about it. Does anybody else have this trouble? More to the point, does the Milkdrop vis. react to the music when played with ASIO for anybody else?

Cheers! :D

MediaPortal Version: MP1.1.0rc3
MediaPortal Skin: Mustayaluca
Windows Version: XPsp3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon64 4000+
HDD: Seagate
Memory: 2gb
Motherboard: Asus A8N-E
Video Card: ASUS 8600gt Silent
Video Card Driver: 182.50
Sound Card: Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe
Sound Card AC3: HDMI
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR 1100
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR 2200
3. TV Card Type: DVB-T
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PowerDVD9
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec: PowerDVD10
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Zalman HD160
Cooling:
Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower 560w
Remote: Harmony 520 (irTrans MCE Compatible)
TV: LG 42" FullHD 1080p
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI --> HDMI

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've noticed this also with MP RC5

milkdrop vis works but fails to take any notice of music. Sadly the asio music plugin (pureaudio) does not work with milkdrop at the moment.

Sounds like the hard bit (the vis handling) is done but the need to get music to the vis via asio was overlooked.

Is this a difficult fix???

Kev

KevL

Portal Pro
March 3, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Home Country
Bassfan

I have downloaded your file but do not know what to do with the files contained therein.

Maybe Hwarman will know what to do.

All I can say is that when internal music player is set to ASIO output via asio4all to an asio device (MAudio USB Transit) then sound plays and vis shows (when red button is pressed) but vis does not respond to music beat.

Kev

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
May 17, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I don't understand what to do with those files either - please explain.

Hwahrmann, please feel free to chime in :)

B

BassFan

AW: Re: Milkdrop Vis. with ASIO

Bassfan

I have downloaded your file but do not know what to do with the files contained therein.

Maybe Hwarman will know what to do.

All I can say is that when internal music player is set to ASIO output via asio4all to an asio device (MAudio USB Transit) then sound plays and vis shows (when red button is pressed) but vis does not respond to music beat.

Kev

Hmm
what is the problem ?
run BassVisExample.exe added a mp3 file play it und see how milk run with beat (reaction to the musik) or not
that is all.
i will see is there a problem with Mediaportal or with my BassVis Library which used for Mediaportal
so you can load Visual plugins

i hope you understand my bad english

Was ist dein problem
starte BassVisExample.exe addiere eine Mp3 Datei spiele sie ab und starte Milk2
schau ob die visualisierung zur Musik reagiert
Ich möchte sehen ob es an meiner BassVis Library liegt oder an Mediaportal
das ist alles

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    The problem seems to be ASIO only related.
    I need to check. Unfortunately my system behgaves totally weird, once i turn on ASIO. Need to re-install everything.
    i can't run any test now.

Jeditrav

Portal Pro
    May 17, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm... I've run that BassVisExample.exe and the visualizations seem to be reacting to the music, but I see no indication that it is using ASIO. Since the problem only exists when the music is going through ASIO, I don't see how this helps.

KevL

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2005
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    Hwahrmann

The problem seems to be ASIO only related.
    I need to check. Unfortunately my system behgaves totally weird, once i turn on ASIO. Need to re-install everything.
    i can't run any test now.

I think there may be a problem with the ASIO implementation in Music player. Mine too behaves wierdly with my asio device. To get the Music Player ASIO output to work at all I have to install ASIO4ALL. Only with this can it be made to work.

Only in the Pureaudio Asio plugin does ASIO seem to work well. With this plugin I can connect directly to my ASIO output card without ASIO4ALL. It seems the ASIO implementation built into MP lacks enough config options. The pureaudio plugin gives the option of selecting the output source AND then mapping output channels.

Pity that the Pureaudio plugin does not work with milkdrop (whereas MP nearly does) and that MP doesnt work well with ASIO (which Pureaudio does). Maybe the devs of each should swap some modules :)

Kev

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    As i said, i had troubles with ASIO on my notebook from the beginning.
    I made it work rudimentary and then symphy did the PureAudio.
    I really can't be of any help now, since when i am turning ASIO, my notebook goes into a real hard crash. Powering off within milli seconds.

So you need to talk to symphy to make pureaudio work with milkdrop.

and yes, we share work, but only for MP2. We've made the decision a while ago not to port Pureudio stuff into MP1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom