Ongoing mini hd tv client (1 Viewer)

dizzydone

Portal Member
December 26, 2006
Hi All,

I would like to build a new HTPC.
This pc will be used as a client only; the back-end (server) will be a Windows Home Server with MediaPortal tv server,

My demands for the system are:
- (as) small (as possible)
- (as) silent (as possible)
- cheap
- powerful enough to play HD (1080p)

I have the following in mind
- main board: JetWay jnc62k mini-ITX (Geforce 8200 chipset)
- processor: AMD 4850e
- memory: have some memory lying around
- harddisk: none, if possible install Windows XP on flash card
- dvd: have one lying around

Now the problem... I do not find a correspodning mini-ITX casing which:
- is pretty enough for the living room
- has enough power (most mini-ITX cases only have 60 to 80W).

Can somebody help me with this?
All suggestions are welcome.

Jean-Marc

Portal Pro
February 28, 2007
Home Country
France France
Hi,

I exactly have the same requirements.
For me it is not necessary that the case be nice because my idea is to hide it behind a flat screen (but with access to a remote control, and I don't want to use a tv).
I want the same configuration in every bedroom.
I don't understand why it is not possible to find such a slim and small case, when it exists very slim laptops!!
So, me too, will be happy with any suggestion!
:D

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    You should have a look at the different versions (and colors) of the HFX mini or HFX micro (micro being the smallest with micro-ITX form factor) from HFX, available at mCubed Online Store. They have a good design (although I personally don't like the green or red elements of the micro) and are designed for passive cooling of all components (heatpipes from CPU, GPU and Motherboard chipset to the aluminium casing) and they all have external PSUs (up to 280W as far as I can see).

//ah, just noticed that the micro is also available in white/silver and black/black now :) http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_52_54

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Power

Hi,

I am running both server and client as stated in signature with only 80 Watts, the specs you are looking for must be able to run with less (unless your CPU consumes alot (do not know the power consumption specs of that one)

BTW I'm able to run 720 and 1080 H.264 via CoreAVC (software encoder) -> CPU at 98% usage. Eagerly awaiting a good HW decoder (CoreAVC is planning this I have heard..).

kind regards,
    Ruud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom