Ongoing mini-itx client (for HD) (1 Viewer)

kellizer2

Portal Member
December 3, 2006
Hello to all mini-itx genius’s,

For Christmas, i plan to build 2 mini-itx clients (17cm x 17cm) for mediaportal. Cost around £300 per unit. I’m hoping to watch HDTV (BBC HD) on the client so, was hoping for a CPU speed of around 5000Mhz (Dual Core) as i don’t believe less would run BBCHD smoothly . Is that speed possible on a mini-itx? Obviously, i would love it to be quiet so an external PSU would be nice.
The questions that i have are;
What case? – I want to have a sexy case – doesn’t need to be as sexy as a MAC Mini but near would be great.
What motherboard? If it is Mini-ITX – then i would expect a half descent chip set, a good on board graphics chip.
I only need 1 gig of Ram as it is only needed to run MediaPortal & Vista, why would i need more?
A fast hard drive (solid state?) – around 60-100 Gig – no need for any more?

Thanks,

Ian.

Kingfisher

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 16, 2008
    Bedfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    For a mini-itx board, I would suggest this board with something like a 4850e CPU.

I would also suggest 2GB Ram as Vista with 1GB will be slow, and bear in mind you will be using some of the ram shared for video ram (MP requires at least 128MB video memory, I would recommend 256MB).

I believe Silverstone make some nice Mini-ITX cases, so check out SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd - Designing Inspiration

ryan20021982

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 27, 2008
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Gonna be kind of hard to get under that budget with a 60gb solid state hdd since there about $140
    I would suggest a laptop hdd they are very quiet and same size as a ssd.

I would recommend this

motherboard: JetWay JNC62K AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX(same as mentioned above)
    CPU: AMD 4850e very good cpu and only 45watts so not much cooling required
    Memory: For sure 2gb especially with Vista

There are some good cases here
    mini-itx.com - news

I like this one myself
    mini-itx.com - store - mini-itx cases

If you wanted to you could keep it under your budget but would be close.

dlisalde

Portal Member
    June 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Will that play non-dxva 1080p material?

Atom class N230 or N270 (with Intel desktop mini-itx) can't. But Hd movies 720p with respective codecs can move.

I've a aspire one with atom n270 (1'86ghz clock) with intel grafics 945, and it can't move movies 1080p with out DXVA or DXVA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom