[Skin] Mini-OSD pause progress bar time out (1 Viewer)

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I was not sure if this was implemented or not:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/pause-mini-osd-time-out-67856/

I dare to suggest the following:

Sometimes we need to pause a movie in order to read some information, but we always see the blue mini-osd progress bar on the bottom on the screen and it never goes away. I know for a big OSD the time out can be selected from MediaPortal configuration General, On-Screen Display, Display Timeout (sec.), but it doesn't affect the progress bar Pause timeout.

If we implement a time-out, we will be able to see what is under the OSD, and this will also help to fight the burn-in problem some people were complaining about in this thread:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/improvement-suggestions-46/move-pause-bar-67971/

Thank you.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I would like the developers to realise that the whole idea of Pause is not only Pause and go somewhere or answer the phone call, but sometimes we need to pause in order to see the objects on the screen better (get the frame details or pause to read the subtitles). Plus it does not help to fight the burn in in some plasma TVs.

There was a reason why Microsoft implemented this in MediaCenter (MCE).

Please comment and consider this suggestion.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I know some people like the default behaviour. We can make the time-out programmable: permanently on, permanently off, number of seconds after it goes off. But this requires programming and can be considered if there is enough interest. So if you want the feature, speak out. Explain why do you want this feature and hopefully we will be heard by the developers community.

For now I just edited the skin xml files to get rid of the mini-OSD pause progress bar at all. Not the best solution, but this worked for RC, haven't tried for the final yet.

TRIROG

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Well as many have pointed out - i would like the progress bar to hide after some defined time ( 5 secs) to prevent burn in on plasma.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    To illustrate the suggestion, I attached the screenshots. As you can see, miniOSD pause progress bar covers some important information on the screen. If, for example, I play the surveillance camera video and something important came up, I press pause to look carefully, damn, this blue window blocks very important crime scene detail! :mad:. And this important piece of information could be anywhere on the screen, so just moving the blue window will not help. And like I said, sometimes I need to press pause to give myseld more time to read closed captions/subtitles - the blue window blocks the text!:mad: Why OSD times-out and Pause-OSD stays forever? This just doesn’t make sense!

Yes, the pause progress bar information is important, but let it time out in a few seconds! For those who want to keep it forever, make the time-out configurable. Other arguments in favor of this: plasma burnout if I press pause too often.:(

Attachments

• pause1.JPG
      pause1.JPG
      50.7 KB
    • pause.JPG
      pause.JPG
      52.6 KB
    • on-screeen display setup.JPG
      on-screeen display setup.JPG
      103.2 KB

SingleMalt

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Mini-OSD pause progress bar time out

I would like the developers to realize that the whole idea of Pause is not only Pause and go somewhere or answer the phone call, but sometimes we need to pause in order to see the objects on the screen better (get the frame details or pause to read the subtitles).
    Same here. The last of your above mentioned arguments is my foremost grudge with the Mini-OSD behavior in pause mode, but the other ones are most relevant as well! Why the heck has none of the Blue3(Wide)-developers realized that in the first place, and more importantly, fixed this clearly visible issue in the new 1.10 final release? This completely beats me. I mean, come on, a little bit more thinking in usability terms would do MePo absolutely no harm, now would it? :confused:

Please, dear MePo developers team, fix this problem for us slow subtitle readers / non-native speakers or plainly hearing-impaired people around the globe. Hopefully this is done in the not so far away future, because this literally nags me senseless for quite some time now. Ever tried to read subtitles of an Asian speaking movie? These buggers are super fast speeding subtitles you have to read and comprehend simultaneously, so consequently you are forced to pause quite often in the process! And then one can't read them in all stillness due to the missing abilities to auto-close the Mini-OSD after a pre-defined bar time out, or to disable the Mini-OSD in the settings menu for good. :mad:

BTW: Nice screen shots greybox! These visualize the problems (and a possible solution for them) with the paused Mini-OSD issue very adequately. :D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Easiest solution would be to just move the whole pause osd to the top of the screen. ;)
    I think I've even seen that in a community skin.

Making that a config option would mean to supply 2 sets of skinfiles. I am not sure if I can find an developer and skin designer who are willing to do that change in MP itselfe.
    Might be a better solution to just create a Blue3(w) mod and add that into the repository.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks, Chris!

I tried to move the pause bar to the top and it didn't work very well. Just moving the whole OSD to the top of the screen is not always desirable because the object of our interest could be anywhere on the screen. The OSD itself covers a big object. Sometimes the subtitles or event description go on the top of the screen, sometimes we will need a print screen without any OSD at all. With my limited knowledge I was able to slightly modify the existing Blue3 wide skin to permanently disable the pause osd by removing some of "player.paused" conditions in common.play.progressbar.xml and videoFullScreen.xml, and it works for me except for on-line movies plugin, but this is not the best solution.

Better solution would be like on most video players - there is a blinking || or the word "pause" simbol in the right top corner of the screen. Same approach is already used in your picture viewer. But the only little problem with this is we can't be sure if the simbol will stay on the print screen, and also we wont' see the progress bar at all.

The best and universal solution would be to show the OSD for a number of seconds (configurable or not) and then time out this bar like you time out another OSD. The main info OSD times out. We could use same behavior and apply same timeout period. Will this require just the skin programming, or something else?

By the way, why do we need two separate OSDs - one universal OSD shoud cover all our needs.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Mini-OSD pause progress bar time out

I think the best solution would be to follow your suggestion and set a timeout so the pause OSD disappeares after a given time (like the zap OSD).
    Edit: In one of my recent versions of PureVisionHD I moved the pause OSD to the top - which gave me a lot of complaints so I reverted it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom