Minimalistic HTPC for 1080p (1 Viewer)

lubbe75

Portal Pro
October 23, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
As hardware get outdated very fast I find it difficult to find a good recipie for what I need. Is there anyone who has a working recipie for a minimalistic HTPC that can play 1080p ? Any link? Searching various forums I can only find "old" recipies or descriptions of monster machines.

With minimalistic I mean small in terms of price and size. I will run Windows XP and MediaPortal (of course). I am going to use it as a PVR with one or two built-in TV receivers. Hmm... that's about it I guess. Thanks.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Depending on the type of video, 1080p playback is easily acheived now with a cheap (~£30 GBP) graphics card that offers hardware acceleration. A fast CPU is not needed.

However - playback of 1080p AVI/MKV files would require a fast CPU, as the graphics card if not used.

I suggest a Core2Duo based machine, 2GB of RAM, and a cheap graphics card that handles hardware accel (ATI 3450/3650). That shouldnt cost you much, and you can get it all in a pretty small case. Should be low heat too, so low noise!

lubbe75

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for the fast reply.

Would any core2duo do the job or should I look at CPUs over a certain clock frequence? Is that socket 775, or does it not matter?

As for the memory, do I need to look for a certain speed or doesn't it matter?

Last of all, do you know of any project like this that has proven to work, or will I simply have to take the risk and go for it anyway?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Any Core2Duo should do - they are all fast - go for the best value:speed ratio. Anything over 2GHz I guess!

I have an AMD X2 3800 and that plays 1080p files, a Core2Duo should be loads faster.

The graphics card and a suitable decoder (e.g. PowerDVD Codec) will hardware accelerate all mpeg2/h264.

Memory speed wont really make a huge difference, again, go for the best price:speed ratio.

Once you decide on what you want - post the spec here and then we can see if anything could be improved/changed.

lubbe75

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    A lot of decisions depend on what case and motherboard I select. What format do you suggest? Micro/mini/midi-tower? Again, small and simplistic is nice, but I'm not a purist. That goes for noise as well. It should be fairly quiet.

Am I right in saying that I don't need a powerful power unit? Would 250W be enough?

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Personally I went for a mid case. I have a Seasonic S12 PSU (very very quiet)

Case size and motherboard type are up to you, depends how many PCI cards you need/ how many hard drives etc.

I tend to get one with a 120mm fan, and then buy a noctua fan (extremely quiet). for CPU cooling I go for Arctic Cooling, also very quiet.

lubbe75

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, starting to get something...

Case: Antec NSK2480 including 380W power supply (not very small but seemingly popular)
    CPU: Intel core2duo E7200 2.53GHz (3 Mb, 1066 MHz, s-775) including fan
    Graphics card: ASUS HD3450 256MB GDDR2 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/VGA (passive, low profile)
    Harddrive: deciding later
    Optical reader/writer: deciding later

Looking good so far?

How do I choose a motherboard? There are just too many and I don't know what to look for. I suppose it doesn't need to have an HDMI connector since I am going for a separate graphics card with HDMI. But I do want an optical audio connector (not planning on a separate sound card).

And memory? 2Gb, but what else to look for? It has to fit with the motherboard in terms of connector, but also I don't want to waste money on memory that is too fast for my motherboard... It's a jungle.

lubbe75

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hmm... did some thinking and reading overnight. It seems like Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H is a good choice for a motherboard, with built-in GPU and HDMI output. It means I can skip the dedicated graphics card for now and maybe settle with a smaller box.

What is a good micro-ATX box? Does anyone have a tip?

lubbe75

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    No, I haven't looked at that. Wouldn't you say that they are too small (too warm) to play 1080, blu-ray and have enough space for TV-card etc?
    Again, if there is a description for a working mini-itx project then I am interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom