minimum hardware spec (1 Viewer)

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
minimum hardware spec ??

has there been any discussion about what the minimum hardware spec might be for the tv server part.

am i right in thinking that it won't need much graphics power as its not actually displaying any TV etc ?

what are we looking at in terms of memory and cpu ?

kerpow

Portal Member
June 1, 2006
Brisbane
Home Country
The answer is YES. But the info that I can find is hidden away in the gargantuan (and therefore increasingly unhelpful ;) ) thread called “methods of using TV server - discussion thread”. (Its great to see there is a new section in the forum for Server related issues.)

This is what I have complied:

infinityloop:
“i am using an Athlon64 3500+ | onboard gfx | 1024MB DDR PC3200 | as Server with
1x Nova-T
1x Skystar 2
1x floppy-dtv

With latest build:
If all 3 cards are recording at the same time the CPU load is below 20%.
If one client is connected its ~10%

But, other tasks are running on this server too. ftp, web, sql, ect.

A dedicated TV-server does not require a powerful CPU or gfx card. only a huge harddisk to store all your recordings “

AND

“About the SystemSpecs:

Single-seat configuration:
If you can use MediaPortal 0.2.0.4 on your HTPC, the single-seat configuration will work too. without eating much more system resources

Networkconfiguration:
Server:
the Server Hardware depends on a few things:
- do you want to use multiple TV-Cards?
- do you want to use HDTV?
- which other applications are running on the server?

Client:
If you can use MediaPortal 0.2.0.4 on your HTPC, you will also be able to use it as Client in a networkconfiguration.

Detail system specs will follow as soon as we get close to the final version.
Please be patient “

joboehl:
“As for the CPU question, my server is a Celeron 2.66Ghz and hardly comes over 10% of CPU when streaming to one client (haven't tested 2 yet). It's amazing.”

Of course this does not mention a minimum hardware spec, but its a start!

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I had a Pentium 3 with 384 Mb RAM
    used all features except TV

everything runs OK, I now have a AMD 3200+ and 1,5 Gb Ram and using same features,

browsing large shares is faster but a bit

so I think RAM has to be 384 minimal and for 720 Xvids ( the 700 Mb files ) a celeron 900 is the absulute minimun

gfx is FX5200

Brutus

Portal Member
    December 19, 2005
    Belgium
    Why so high CPU load on TV Server 80% (PIII, Win2003, 512MB, 860MHz, 1 TV-card KNC1 DVB-C), with spikes to 100%, is it because of unpacking the dvb-stream and epg parsing, don't know if this is the reason why I get sometimes at the client side some small freezes (P4 AMD 2400, NVIDIA 6600 GT, 512MB, Win XP) ? For the rest is works PERFECT !!! First time right! Now using it from beta-version onwards, I hope the CPU can be lowered, so I still can used it from my server PC !! Once again, good job !

JockeFors

July 18, 2006
    Iam running the client on a Dell Inspiron M510.

It works perfect. Iam planing to bild small via itx system as a client

------------spec-------
    Dell Inspiron M510
    PENTIUM M 735 (1.70 GHZ)
    512MB RAM
    4XDVD+RW & 24XCD-RW
    60GB HDD (4200RPM)

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I would reconsider using a small VIA Eden setup as your client. Not powerfull enough; onboard GFX is a BIG no no, speaking out of experience...

VIA Eden for the server side is possible, I think, but then you will have to use a different database server (mysql, ...).

[XStream]

Portal Member
    August 14, 2006
    Behind you... scared?
    I was also considering using a 1000mhz via micro itx system for client.
    However i would say there could be some issues from time to time with such a weak cpu. i thought the server would be capable of decoding compressed video and send to the client as regular mpeg2. This not being the case the client must still, in any regular config, be capable of transfering data from the server, decode whatever format the video uses, decode whatever format the sound uses, most likely wrap everything up for the sound card and then output all of this to its destination, i.e. the sound card and video card.
    Even though running an xp system and decompressing ac3/xvid from hard drive isnt really a problem for an older p3 800mhz, i still wouldnt take the chance of having as little as 200-300 mhz left over for future compatibility.

im going for a 1.73ghz pentium m instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom