Missing cover art in "Now Playing" & "My Lyrics" screens (1 Viewer)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    MediaPortal Version: 0.2.2.0 + SVN 14683 (21.05.2007 / 19:01 CET)
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo wide
    Windows Version: Windows XP Prof. SP2
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 2700+
    HDD: Seagate 200GB ATA100
    Memory: 512MB - DDR 333 (PC3200)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA KM400
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon 9550
    Video Card Driver: ATI Radeon v6.4
    Sound Card: On board VIA VT1617
    Sound Card AC3: using 5.1 analog outputs
    Sound Card Driver: VIA Vinyl Audio v6.50a
    1. TV Card: Dvico FusionHDTV DVB-T
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: v 3.50.02
    2. TV Card: DNTVLive! LP DVB-T
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    2. TV Card Driver: v 2.0.0.4
    [MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 6
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    HTPC Case: custom built
    Cooling: custom built - super quiet
    Power Supply: custom built - 200W
    Remote: MCE - Australian version
    TV: BENQ PB6200 DLP projector
    TV - HTPC Connection: D-sub (15 pin)

I have a "folder.jpg" file in every album folder in My Music.

If I unselect the option "Use folder.jpg to create thumbnails" in MediaPortal Setup -> Music -> Music Database , so that no thumbnails are created and therefore do not exist in the Thumbs\Music folders, then the cover art does not appear in the "Now Playing" or the "My Lyrics" windows. However, the cover art does still appear in the small overlay on the bottom left of the other screens.

This seems like a bug, in that the "Now Playing" code only looks for cover art in the Thumbs\Music\Albums folder and ignores the presence of the original "folder.jpg" in the folder where the album tracks are.

If there are no thumbnails in the Thumbs\Music\Albums folder, then the "Now Playing" and the "My Lyrics" windows display the image "missing_coverart.png", even though there is coverart in the "folder.jpg" located in the album's folder.

There is nothing in the log files to point to this bug.

Steps to reproduce:-

1. Delete all the thumbnails in the Thumbs\Music folders
    2. Unselect all the options in MediaPortal Setup -> Music -> Music Database that relate to the creation of thumbnails
    3. Run "Update database from selected shares"
    4. Launch MediaPortal, select an album to play (that contains a "folder.jpg") and notice that the overlay in the bottom left displays the correct album art.
    5. Switch to "Now Playing" or "My Lyrics" and notice that the large overlay in the top right of the screen just displays the "missing_coverart.png" image.

I don't recall at what SVN this bug appeared, but it certainly worked correctly in earlier versions.

EDIT - some more information

I have just noticed that if the option "Show visualisation (BASS player only)" in MediaPortal Setup -> Music -> Now playing tab is unselected, then the conditions described above occur.

However, if the option "Show visualization (BASS player only)" is selected, then the coverart (from the folder.jpg file) is displayed correctly in the "Now Playing" screen, but is still not displayed in the "My Lyrics" screen.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is NOT a bug but intended since many people have their files and therefore also the coverart located on LAN, external storage or even worse.
    The overlay is allowed for an exclusion since it "only" has to retrieve one file for the current song.

What is your reason to disable coverart if you want coverart?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    This is NOT a bug but intended since many people have their files and therefore also the coverart located on LAN, external storage or even worse.

I don't understand that if this is intended behaviour, why the behaviour is different depending upon the option "Show visualisation (BASS player only)"?

1. If I have "Show visualisation (BASS player only)" selected, then the cover art in the "folder.jpg" is displayed.

2. If I have "Show visualisation (BASS player only)" deselected, then MediaPortal looks for the cover art in the Thumbs folder and displays "missing_coverart.png" when none is found.

I would have thought that to cater for the people who "have their files and therefore also the coverart located on LAN, external storage or even worse", MediaPortal would always look in the Thumbs folder, and if no coverart was found, would then look for the "folder.jpg"? As it seems to do in point 1. above?

The overlay is allowed for an exclusion since it "only" has to retrieve one file for the current song.

Sorry, I don't understand how this is different - when does more than one file have to be retrieved for the current song?

What is your reason to disable coverart if you want coverart?

I have all my music files on the same drive as MediaPortal so I don't experience any network delays, and I have noticed that the quality of the thumbnails are inferior to the "folder.jpg" from which they are created, even at the highest quality setting. Also, I notice that thousands of thumbnails are created (in my case, about 4,000 files for just 400 albums), taking about 140 MB ....

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    My initial post on this bug is probably confusing - the bug is better described as:-

If I have disabled the generation of album art thumbnails so there are no thumbnails in the "Thumbs\Music" folders AND I have the option "Show visualisation (BASS player only)" in MediaPortal Setup -> Music -> Now playing tab unselected, then the coverart located in the "folder.jpg" file is NOT displayed in the "Now Playing" screen.

However, if I just change the option "Show visualisation (BASS player only)" in MediaPortal Setup -> Music -> Now playing tab to selected, then the coverart located in the "folder.jpg" file IS displayed in the "Now Playing" screen.

It seems to me that the coverart located in the "folder.jpg" file should be displayed irrespective of the setting of the "Show visualisation (BASS player only)" option ... :confused:

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have confirmed that bug # 0001085 is fixed, but bug # 0001086 still persists.

Bug # 0001086 is closed as "Fixed', but there is a note in the bug report that says "MyLyriks is not part of the source - pls forward this to the plugin developer ". So now I am confused - does this mean that the bug really has been fixed, or does it mean that I need to forward it to the developer of MyLyrics to get it fixed .... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom