MKV 1080 - DTS audio stream cause video stutter (1 Viewer)

snickwad

Portal Member
May 26, 2008
Trowbridge
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.3
MediaPortal Skin: Back and White 1080
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
CPU Type: AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 5050e (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
HDD: Kingston 64Gb SSD
Memory: 2Gb
Motherboard: Asus M2A-VM
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5570 1Gb
Video Card Driver: 8.14.1.6214 (Catalyst 11.6)
Sound Card: ATI HDMI Audio (Realtek)
Sound Card AC3: HDMI
Sound Card Driver: 6.0.1.6358
1. TV Card: KWorld USB DVB-T BDA (Dual Tuner)
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: FFDShow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: FFDShow
h.264 Video Codec: FFDShow DXVA
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Virgin
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC-10
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: HP MCE
TV: SONY KDL40Z4500
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI via SONY DA2400ES

Hi all.

I seem to be getting nowhere trying to get smooth video with DTS/DTS-HD audio in 1080 mkv files. Every second or so I get a little, but noticeable stutter. I have SAF 5.02 installed, and all other aspects of Mediaportal work flawlessly. I have scoured the forums regarding this, and have tried the various suggestions (apart from removing SAF). Switch audio to DD5.1 AC3 during playback, and I get a perfect viewing experience. I'm not sure if the logs would provide any clues, but happy to post if that would help.

All audio/video goes over HDMI. I have tried updated ATI drivers, I have removed the ATI HD audio driver and replaced with the Realtek and tried and reset various codec 'tweaks'. However, problem still remains.....

Could anyone suggest a structured approach to tracking this down; i.e. strat with the graphics card/audio driver setup (all currently at the deafult), MP config options, codec settings, or even Amp/TV options which might cause this?

99% of my media is on my NAS, but I have ruled this out by using the same mkv file, and tested in multiple players, both over the network, and again from local storage, with consistent (stuttering) results.

I have run thru Graphstudio with nothing untoward, and Filmerit reports no errors, so, over to the forum experts; all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

snickwad

JackTramiel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 22, 2006
    Recklinghausen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MKV 1080 - DTS audio stream cause video stutter

There is an option to choose the audio renderer, what did you select there?

TV Codecs - MediaPortal Wiki

Had problems with DTS Stutter and resolved it by changing it back to Default. Dont know if it will help you, might be worth trying.

snickwad

Portal Member
    May 26, 2008
    Trowbridge
    Home Country
    OK, quick update. After more experimenting, I have what seems to be a solution.

I removed all codecs and confirmed ATI drivers settings were as per the recommendations in the SAF posts.
    Installed LAV Filters (Splitter and Audio) and set all codec options in Mediaportal to the Win 7 / Microsoft DTV.
    Ran Graphstudio and using the Filetrs menu option, got to the config for LAV Audio and set all bitstreaming/passthrough options. The A/V sync option was enabled by default I believe in this dialogue window.
    Set Mediaportal audio codec options to LAV Audio.

Hope this helps. :D

ferryc

October 13, 2011
    Rotterdam
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    He Snickwad, took me a little puzzling to understand your explanation; I had the same issue with stuttering video when passing through DTS but it now works fluently! I was already afraid it was the hardware (Llano A8-3850 GPU). Thanks man!

technick

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi like snickwad, I removed SAF, installed LAV splitter only but I use ffdshow like explain here : https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...layback-quality-84441/index33.html#post797716
    FYI you can also have problem when you insert something in the graph for subtitles, with ffdshow you have a all-in-one solution, the graph is simple so no problem.

ps : I use also

snickwad

Portal Member
    May 26, 2008
    Trowbridge
    Home Country
    Just a quick note; the latest version of LAV now comes with an Audio Configuration shortcut, so there is no need to set the pass thru option from an external application (such as Graphstudio). I also have no requirement for subtitle use, so as noted by technick, there may be better options if you need them :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom