MKV files with DTS sound => irregular movement in travelling scenes (1 Viewer)

Miranda

Portal Pro
November 16, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
TV-Server Version: Not installed
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.1
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3Wide
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: Core 2 Duo 6600
HDD: 3 x Samsung 1 Tb
Memory: 2 Gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte 965P-DS3 - driver : 8.3.1.1009
Video Card: GeForce 9600 GT
Video Card Driver: 182.50 GeForce
Sound Card: on motherboard, Realtek High Definition
Sound Card AC3: Coax output present and also used
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5793
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC - MPEG-2 Video Decoder
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow Video Decoder
AAC audio decoder: ffdshow Audio Decoder
HTPC Case: Thermaltake
Cooling: Noctua NH-Q12P
Power Supply: CoolerMaster IGreen power 600 Watt
Remote: ATI Remote All in Wonder
TV: Samsung PS-50Q7H
TV - HTPC Connection:
HDMI for Video
Coax cable for audio to a Creative DDTS-100

Hello all,

First of all Media Portal is a very great program (I used other multimedia programs but when I discovered this one, I stopped searching :cool:).

I have a very strange little problem.

When I'm looking .mkv video files (H.264) with DTS sound, there are little irregular or abrupt movement. It's very difficult to see them but when you know this you 're searching for it ;)
Whith a travelling scene, it's the easiest way to see them.
But there is no problem in the sound only in the video.

Internal player of Mediaportal NOK
VLC pluging OK

I first through it was due to the ffdshow video settings but after a lot of test (clean install of windows, other video card, testing on two other computers), me and my friend discovered it's due to ffdshow Audio settings => when Pass-through (S/PDIF, HDMI) DTS is selected.
!!!But if this option is selected and the PC don't support S/PDIF, it will be OK!!!

I tested another way to decode the DTS sound:
In config of MP, I selected ''MPC - MPA Decoder Filter'' for the AAC audio decoder and configure the MPA DTS Decoder Settings to go through S/PDIF => NOK (same problem)

I'm sure this problem will occure to eveyone how is using S/PDIF output with a H.264 file and DTS sound.
It's very clear to see in a film like Nomad (2004 with Kuno Becker), in the begining of it there is a travelling on a landscape.

I'm very glad to know the cause of the problem but I don't know how to resolve this :-(

For the moment I renamed my *.mkv files with dts sound to *.ts and to open them with the VLC pluging but I prefer the internal player of MP :-(

A great solution should be to have all H.264 files encoded in AC3 :oops:but that's not possible.

Thanks for reading me, hope you have ideas, it will be great.

Miranda

Miranda

Portal Pro
November 16, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Yes, like a hickup every ~5 seconds.

But I already tested different refresh rate but the problem keep going on :(
I also have mkv video files (H.264) with the same 24 fps encoded in AC3 that don't have this problem.

If I see this same movie in stereo, I don't have this hickup, I'm 100% sure it's due to the DTS sound.

DTS activated in ffdshow audio => NOK
DTS not activated in ffdshow audio => OK

Miranda

Portal Pro
November 16, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I don't have a lot of ideas :(

I through I should not be alone to have this problem : camera movements that are not very fluid when filming a great landscape.

In VLC, I need to set the output type to "Win32 waveOut extension output" ... is there a possibility in ffdshow to put the same setting?

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I did have this problem when running ffdshow. When changing to Dscaler (ver 5.08) and set "USE Spdif for DTS/AC3" the stuttering went away.

The thing was that ffdshow worked ok with AC3 pass-through but not with DTS...

Good luck.

Miranda

Portal Pro
November 16, 2008
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
What's very strange is the new setting that can be selected in MP 1.0.1, the ''AAC audio decoder''

The mkv file is encoded with DTS sound, so it need to use the setting of MPEG / AC3 audio decoder (I suppose I'm right?)
For 'MPEG / AC3 audio decoder' I put Dscaler.

But if I put ffdshow Audio in AAC audio decoder, my MKV file is decoded by ffdshow, I need to put 'real Audio' otherwize DScaler don't do the job.

I don't understand.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What's very strange is the new setting that can be selected in MP 1.0.1, the ''AAC audio decoder''

The mkv file is encoded with DTS sound, so it need to use the setting of MPEG / AC3 audio decoder (I suppose I'm right?)
    For 'MPEG / AC3 audio decoder' I put Dscaler.

But if I put ffdshow Audio in AAC audio decoder, my MKV file is decoded by ffdshow, I need to put 'real Audio' otherwize DScaler don't do the job.

I don't understand.

There may some clues in this thread - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/1-0-final-svn-builds-303/mp-uses-aac-audio-decoder-mkvs-mp4s-54658/index2.html

Why not just disable DTS decoding in the FFDshow audio settings ?

Tony

Miranda

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    DTS decoding is disabled in the FFDshow audio.

MPEG / AC3 audio decoder => DScaler
    AAC audio decoder => ffdshow audio

When starting a DTS MKV movie => ffdshow audio appears in the taskbar and the sound is in stereo :(

With Graphedit, I see that windows handle the audio of this file with the ffdshow not DScaler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom