.mkv subtitles default not working... (1 Viewer)

ChriZ

Portal Pro
March 22, 2008
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hope I ended in the right forum as this looks like an option in the current version that doesn't work as intended...

I've been struggling with default subtitles language for mkv files which seems to be broken in MP (using RC2)

I'm trying to set default sub to danish, but MP just picks up the first available in the file.

Setting default subtitle language in Haali Media Splitter works fine in WMP, but somehow MP doesn't recognize this..

(this post can refer to this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-support-51/mkv-subtitles-default-language-43560/ )

/Christian

jamieo

Portal Member
June 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
I'm trying to set default sub to danish, but MP just picks up the first available in the file
Hi,

Leading on from the other topic I notice you didn't mention the default flag so perhaps it should be clarified that there are three mechanisms to determine the default in the following order:

1. Default flag muxed into mkv - if none exists then picks the first
2. Haali splitter setting to override default flag with user selection (only if it exists)
3. MP setting to force default

1 being the lowest priority - 3 seems to override all and enforce the first track as default regardless.

There should at least be a way to disable MP's part in the above chain just as the Haali Splitter does. Haali's default is none, using 1 to decide - also, if the default does not exist it again reverts to 1.

I'm not even sure why MP needs to set the default language for mkv as the Haali Splitter takes care track selection as confirmed in graphedit. Perhaps the MP setting should just act as an interface to make the haali reg entries and leave the actual track selection alone for mkv??

Also a problem, MP currently forces whether subtitles are shown or not upon mkv playback regardless of VSFilter or other settings. Haali/VSFilter do not currently support the forced flag (but it's in the mkv specs) but it's likely MP will override any forced sub implementation done in the future in the same way the default flag is currently being overrided.

Jamie

jamieo

Portal Member
June 30, 2007
Home Country
England England
In addition to the above I have also found that Mediaportal only allows selection of an external srt file if no subs already exist in the mkv!

So, trying to workaround the above issues by placing your preferred or empty srt in the same folder will not work. However, the default behaviour of VSFilter (if MediaPortal doesn't interfere) is to promote the external srt file to the default track which would be the ideal workaround for most problems.

Can we please at least have an option to disable MPs interference with the standard default subtitle/audio selection mechanism already implemented for mkv files by haali/vsfilter as the current implementation is unnecessary and most of all - WRONG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom