January 30, 2011
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
Windows Version: Windows 7 64 bit
HTPC Case: Moneual Moncaso 320
Remote: MCE

Hi to everyone!

Since this is my first post, hope I wont break any rules (which mostly I have read :)) just at the beginning ...

I installed last stable Mediaportal 1.1.2 release yesterday and I like it very much - the only thing that won't work is VFD display ... It's 14x1 OEM display from VLSystems which also controls remote, but remote works through external MPlay application using keyboard shortcuts. I'd like to turn off MPlay and start using Mini Display plugin with VLSystems MPlay driver, but this doesn't work, it only puts garbage on my display. Does anybody know is it somehow possible to make this display work ? Maybe with some other driver of another case with similar VFD, if it exists ?

Thanks!

dkoscak

Portal Member
January 30, 2011
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
As no one replied, I had to add support on my own :)

I took tags/Release1.1.2 source and changed VLSYS_Mplay.cs i VLSYS_AdvancedSetupForm.cs. As I can see, almost identical source is also in trunk (latest release) folder so it shouldn't be problem patching it to this version, because (fortunately) no one has been working on this driver lately :)

Added:
- support for M428 type of VFD/Remote (MCE like) combination that is used on Moneual Moncaso 320 HTPC case. Different initialization sequnce than other VLSystem devices is used, so Automatic recognition is not supported, only manual.
- MPlay application is different - added restarting of MMX.exe the way it's done for MHC.exe
- VFD is 14x1 + 15 icons - also added Icon_Update thread for updating icons (like for IMON): music, videos, photos, play, pause, stop, 480, 720, 1080 ...
- Remote - added additional keys in default mapping (Fullscreen, Ratio...), improved default key mappings for teletext (special keys)
- still struggling with volume knob / mute on case: mute is ok, but I can't get sequence for vol+/vol- ... it's not so important though ...

I have to do a bit more testing, but after that I'd like someone to check it in trunk SVN - what is the procedure ? Is there anyone who could test it with other VLSystem displays ?

dkoscak

Portal Member
January 30, 2011
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
I've put new dll here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19995790/MiniDisplayLibrary.dll

Unfortunately I don't have right now xml mapping for Remote so some keys won't work like fullscreen, ratio... I'll put it on my Dropbox later.

This should work with Mediaportal 1.1.2 instalation, just replace MiniDisplayLibrary.dll in installation directory with this one (and backup the original one first :)). Then you should enable MiniDisplay plugin, enter MiniDisplay config in Mediaportal client configuration application, pick "VLSystem ..." driver in the list of drivers, then pick "M428 Moneual Moncaso 320" support in Advanced tab, I also think that you have to set manualy cols/rows of display to 14 x 1, I'll deal with it later to set it automatically. You should also uncheck Disable remote if it's checked by default to be able to user remote. Other things like EQ and fans shouldn't be enabled. If you use MMX M.Play you could check 'Restart MHC' - this should turn MMX.exe off when starting mediaportal and after that turn it on, but make sure that you have permissions to do that automatically (e.g. if it starts like administrator and you're working like normal user).

Tab

February 8, 2011
nähe Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Moncaso 320 VFD support

Hello dkoscak,

i installed that modified DLL yesterday - and it works nearly perfect!
I only have some problems to map the keys on the remote and had to delete the xml because the configuration wasn't startable anymore.
I will test on and give you some more detailed feedback the next days.

Thanks alot!

Regards
Thomas

dkoscak

Portal Member
January 30, 2011
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
I 've managed to get to work everything, including Volume knob!
Here is the new version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19995790/MiniDisplayLibrary.dll
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19995790/RemotePlugins.dll

Remote key mappings:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19995790/VLSYS_Mplay.xml

Now it's not enough to change only MiniDisplayLibrary.dll, another dll - RemotePlugins.dll has to be changed too. This is because I'm adjusting everything to be ready to be merged into 1.2.0 source, although this is still NOT for 1.2.0 version, but 1.1.2 !

I also included remote key mapping with additional buttons (fullscreen, ratio, eject ...). New RemotePlugins.dll requires that the default remote mappings are in <Mediaportal instalation dir>\Defaults\InputDeviceMappings folder, this one can also be put as custom mapping (in ProgramData\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal\InputDeviceMappings on Win7) as long as any standard mapping is in mentioned Defaults folder, or remote support within the plugin won't start.

Tab

February 8, 2011
nähe Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany

I just installed the new release, but i can't get it working.
I replaced the 2 DLLs and copied the mapping into the Folder (its \MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\defaults - i think you wrote it in the wrong order).
The Display is working but the remote doesn't do anything.
Any hint for me?

dkoscak

Portal Member
January 30, 2011
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
After I began to merge my changes made against 1.1.2 source with the actual trunk, I also had to accept some changes in remoteplugin.dll and this is, i suppose, new directory hierarchy for remote mappings - it's not Team MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\defaults like it was and like you wrote, but Team Mediaportal\Defaults\InputDeviceMappings like I wrote in the previous post, so I think this new directory order is how it's going to be. After that change your remote will work for sure. When you'll be testing - please check if the first key pressend on remote is handeled correctly or is beeing discarded ?

Tab

February 8, 2011
nähe Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany

Ok... so i just have to create that folder and only paste the xml there?
I will try that! I was sure you made a mistake writing down the path, but it seems to be the new structure.

I will check the first key-press and give you feedback in a minute...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the path... i just created the folders and now the remote works perfect!
The first key-press was handled correctly. The volume-knob at the case is working and even the small icons in the display are used!
Shall i test anything else for you?

dkoscak

Portal Member
January 30, 2011
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
Re: AW: Moncaso 320 VFD support

Shall i test anything else for you?

Just use it and report if you notice something's wrong :) ... Soon I'll fully prepare everything and make a patch for actual trunk release, after that it would be nice if you could use this version too to see if something is broken...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom