Monitor is disabling wifi!!???? (1 Viewer)

m.standish

Portal Pro
July 9, 2006
Wakefield
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Ive got a problem when using either VGA or DVI, when i switch my monitor off, windows 7 recognises the monitor has been lost, plays the disconnection sound.
When i power on the monitor it recognises it, plays the connection sound, then displays ok.
In the taskbar i can see the wifi signal bar is ok for a few seconds then drops showing connections availiable but will not connect, the only way to bring it back is to disable/enable the card, 30% of time i have to reboot.
Does anyone know how to stop the pc recognising that the monitor has been powered off.
Within system logs, there are events suggesting it has actively sent stop command to TCPIP services and some others, which then stop, in turn killing the wifi connectivity.

1 - can you think of a reason it would close network services when it detects no monitors, i dont understand the link?

2 - somewhere my ATI card is "sensing" the disconnection, do you know how to stop it monitoring

Ive already disabled the power saving to the wifi dongle and also the hub its connecting through
Disabled powering off the monitor
updated both the wifi & graphics card driver
Running on Windows 7 RTM 7600
Dlink DWA-142 (using a netgear driver & marvel driver from windows update) & radeon HD4350 (on catalyst 9.11)
Ive checked if powerstrip has any tools to help but cant see anything
The only time this didnt happen was when i opened catalyst control centre then powered monitor off but i have not been able to recreate this since :(
I have tweaked the services a lot but do not believe i have touched anything that would bring about this behaviour, tonight ill backup my system, enable all the services and see if it changes things EDIT:: Set all services back to normal + others that wernt on, has not fixed problem!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as im up to 16 hours trying to resolve and dont really wanna get to 20-30 :(

Going back to XP is not an option. i need a fix / workaround
If anyone knows what is detecting power to the monitor so i can stop it sensing, that would do the job registry hack or the like. Ive trawled google but TNA

Regards

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    No cross posting, other one has been deleted.

Disabled powering off the monitor
    updated both the wifi & graphics card driver
    Running on Windows 7 RTM 7600

There are a lot of power fixes issued with the Windows 7 release, your wifi connection may well be one of them.

m.standish

Portal Pro
    July 9, 2006
    Wakefield
    Home Country
    Update. Reinstalled windows 7 onto a new partition as a fresh install, installed wifi drivers,both my existing driver and then also the driver suggested by windows update. Problem still exists!!

This is a "black" edition of windows 7 ultimate called "eternity"
    Im currently downloading a original version to see if this resolves the problem. Will be a pity if it is the back edition as its pretty slick. shame that this little problem is proving to be such a major downer :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom