More signal problems- I'm about to give up (1 Viewer)

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0
    MediaPortal Skin: Standard
    Windows Version: XP MCE sp3
    CPU Type: Pentium D 2.8
    HDD: 1TB seagate Sata
    Memory: 2 GB
    Motherboard: Intel D945PVS
    Video Card: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 210
    Video Card Driver: Gigabyte original
    Sound Card: On Board
    Sound Card AC3: On board
    Sound Card Driver: Soniq
    TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-2210 Remote: Harmony 515
    TV: LG 42PX5d
    Case: Aristec HT400
    Codecs used are all the install defaults- with default settings

Today its raining where I am - and all Digital channels are breaking up - with or without an antenna booster. So I tried switching back to the TV's tuner with no amp and all digital channels are fine. It seems that the TV card just doesn't have the same power/stability as the tuner in the plasma Tv- and its just an el-cheapo LG. This is a dealbreaker - if I can't get the same level of picture through the HTPC as I can with a normal TV then its going.

Very disappointing. I thought by buying a top quality card I'd not have these issues. When the weather is fine I get a dead straight line on SHIFT +1 and 25fps on sd and 50 fps on HD (PAL). In this weather (which is just drizzle) I've still got a dead straight line but the frame rate drops to 22fps and 46fps with or without the amp. Its unwatchable.

I've put a lot of work into this so I'd like to resolve it. Suggestions?

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    OK I've now tested the signal strength and have attached an edited log.

The results are varies but I'm led to believe Signal quality is the key. Looking at one channel:-

"Frequency of Parent Transmitter = 809500kHz

Network/Region Name = NBN Central Coast

Channel Name LCN SID Vid Aud PMT
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    NBN Digital Central Coast, 8, 106, 6000, 6010, 106 # Teletext=6030
    GEM , 80, 116, 6100, 6110, 116 # Teletext=6130
    GO! , 88, 186, 6881, 6882, 186 # Teletext=6883

# Signal Strength = -16
    # Signal Quality = 100%"

The signal quality is 100% but the damn thing still pixelates wildly. OK so it could be varying due to the weather.

I've bitten the bullet and have an antenna guy coming in a couple of days to run some tests. But are TV cards that weak? It works perfectly in fine weather

Attachments

• abridged signal test.txt
      7.8 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What tool are you using to test your signal? If it is a MediaPortal issue then you need to provide MediaPortal and TV Server logs...

[Edit: link is live in NZ]

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    Sorry I didn't explain properly. The link is OK but the download link is dead

I'm using scanchannelsBDA_UK. It has a test for australian channels as well .I don't think its a mediaportal issue as its purely weather related. I've looked through the MP logs but they just confirm the crap FPS. This morning its working perfectly- fine weather.

But the TV works in bad weather perfectly - just not the HTPC.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It isn't the FPS (I guess you also mean dropped frames and jitter stats) that I'd be looking for in MediaPortal. Although that is important, I would be looking at the TSReader and TSWriter logs to confirm continuity errors existed. That would indicate that you are correct about your signal issues. If you don't find continuity errors or there aren't very many of them then maybe a change of codec or trying different settings for the "drop late frames" setting might help you...

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    Ok here are the logs. Let me know if you see anything worth commenting on. Check out the tsreader log from 1/11- lotsa discontinuity.

Cheers

Edit - reinstalled wintv and the signal test is with it. Its bad- showing yellow and red a lot. Weird that the LG can deal with it though

swamprat96

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 16, 2010
    Avoca Beach
    Home Country
    I just switched back to the TV as the pixelation is still bad this morning- the weather is bad again. Mucking around with the TV I found it has a basic signal strength meter - poor/normal/good with a sliding band indicator. The signal hovers between poor and normal. It improves slightly with the amp attached but still never reaches good

Think I have my answer. The TV can obviously cope better with what looks like a crappy signal. So I suspect the antenna guy will be replacing something tomorrow. The antenna is probably 15 years old and is the UHF square type with the X elements. Being near the coast I'll bet something is corroded.

More money- damn- but at least it looks fixable

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom