More than 1 PC? (1 Viewer)

RivaSA

Portal Member
June 24, 2009
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
Hi all, this post is in regard to the PC data that MP uses to see who's using what.

As many of you may know, against your account information we are requested to list what components make up our PC's. I assume this is in order that the development teams are able to better gauge the scope of their work based on all our hardware and software.

So what happens when we have more than 1 PC? Does this stop becoming important?

My current systems includes a decent HTPC, 1 not so proper HTPC, three laptops and a desktop. I also run a media-server with a WIN7x64 OS which has a MCE500 and 2 MCE250 Hauppauge cards in it. Since Mediaportal2 is looking at this type of architecture surely my network can be of help. And best of all, I want to help!

To elaborate, I have 8x2TB Western Digital Greens with, amongst a lot of other stuff, +3500 movies, +200 Complete TV-Series, +200 Complete Manga Series, not to mention ten’s of thousand’s of songs, music DVD's and Music Videos. I can tell you that I can't run TV without a 1Gig Network and that My Movies Categories are about 25% quicker in the 1.13 as opposed to 1.12.

Would it be possible to select if the user is using a standalone system or a networked infrastructure? Would it also be possible to see if we can add a server and at least 3 other PC's to the list?

I am unaware of the architecture and its limitations so feel free to let me know if I am being a difficult.

I, like so many others, would like to see MP go from strength to strength and I feel that this can really help.

To the team, thank you so much for all your hard work.

Cheers

Lyall
:D:D:D

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I don't think it's necessarily for the developers to keep track of what hardware is being used, it's more so you can show off your system to other users, or when asked about your system when debuging a problem you can say "<- look in My System".

On another forum people asked if they could list multiple systems, but apparently the impact of this on the server is quite high. It would also be quite a hack as they would need to install multiple copies of the plugin under slightly different names. And you might want two, but then someone wants three and someone else wants four. it starts to get a little out of hand :)

Alternatively you could start and maintain a thread in Ongoing HTPC Projects - MediaPortal Forum with far more details of your set up.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: More than 1 PC?

this is a known limitation but there wont be any change/improvement for this forumsoftware anymore.
    For the upcoming one I cant answer it yet as there are no specs availible when excactly or how custom profiles are introduced. Just that they will be added.
    Showing 1 server +x clients can be a problem as it really requires much screenspace and with 20 fields per PC its getting really messy. Not sure if a lot users will fill in and keep updated 40+ fields...

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Re: AW: More than 1 PC?

Not sure if a lot users will fill in and keep updated 40+ fields...

Sounds like we need a bit of software to run on our PCs to update the forum with the PC spec ;) Maybe an opt-in box in MediaPortal Client, but i'm sure that would scare/put off a lot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom