Motherboard and Memory matchup (1 Viewer)

FreQi

Portal Member
June 10, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I currently have a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L motherboard which says it supports DDR2 1066 RAM, so I bought a Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit. Well, I've been having nothing but problems, and I have been blaming it on the motherboard. I already returned one board to NewEgg and the second has worked better until these last coule days where I have had ramdom freezes, reboots and lockups. But I digress...

I am considering getting an ABIT IP35 Pro to replace the motherboard, but I noticed that it lists DDR2 800 as the Memory Standard.

My question is, will DDR2 1066 Memory work in a mobo that supports DDR2 800? IE, will the RAM step down the speed and work, or will I need to get new memory?

And in case anyone asks, I also have an Intel Q6600 CPU, an ASUS EN8600GT SILENT/HTDP/256M video card and a SeaSonic S12 II SS-380GB ATX12V 380W Power Supply.

Oh, hey lookit that, Google works pretty darn good!

Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard Review | Hardware Secrets

"Officially Intel P35 chipset supports DDR2 memories up to DDR2-800 and DDR3 memories up to DDR3-1066. However, just like it happens with Intel P965 chipset, P35 unofficially supports DDR2-1066 and we could set our DDR2-1066 memories to run at 1,066 MHz without any problem."

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

Keep the receipt, lifetime warranty comes in useful.

You know these are 2.2volt and need to be set in bios as such, otherwise random crashes\not working will occur.

AFAIK you can fit 1066 into 800, 667 etc. the timings will change though.

FreQi

Portal Member
    June 10, 2007
    Home Country
    You know these are 2.2volt and need to be set in bios as such, otherwise random crashes\not working will occur.

No, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up! I expected the motherboard to detect the correct settings for the RAM and I left it alone. I never really wrapped my head around the whole timming settings and voltage tweaking stuff. I'll have to give it a shot when I get home, despite the fact that I already ordered the Abit board last night. Maybe I just have the makings of another computer on my hands, heh.

fphredd

Portal Member
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    On the Gigabyte website, you can find a list of compatible memory. Obviously, these won't be the only ones that work, but at least you'll know they've been tested together. Worth a glance usually before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom