Motherboard Vs Graphics Card (1 Viewer)

ndeans

Portal Member
July 5, 2006
Hi Everyone, Busting my cherry with this one.

I just got home from holsto discover a problem with my dedicated HTPC and i'm trying to ascertain whether the problem is a Graphics Card or Motherboard problem.

Equip:
MSI K8N Neo4 Mobo
Gigabyte PCIe ATI 1300 with Silent Pipe (128 or 256 can't remember which)

OK
First off, from day 1 the MSI Core Cell logo on initial startup has never been clear, has always been badly discoloured and what i would describe as a "blotchy mess". Text on startup is all fine though.

Now though, the computer will basically load up but as soon as i try to do pretty much anything (even a right click menu) the screen blanks, the monitor turns off, and the computer seems to hang.

I've visually inspected both items and can't put a finger on any obvious problems, and the machine is in a well ventilated AC room so i'm reluctant to call it an overheating problem.

Any idea's on how i can more accurately diagnise this fault without spending another $200 on either a new mobo or gpu would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Geon106

Portal Pro
June 23, 2006
Kent, England
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The best thing to do is try putting in another graphics card, if the problem continues then its the mobo, if not its the graphics card.

To me it does sound like a graphical issue, because if the mobo was at fault, it prolly wouldn't start up into windows.

Trial and error my friend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom