Mounting and playing a dvd iso is more or less b0rked. (1 Viewer)

ender

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2006
    The Netherlands
    CVS-snapshot from: 20:48 03-06

Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
    CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    Memory: 2Gb DDR2
    Motherboard: Asus P5GDC-V
    Motherboard Chipset:
    Motherboard Bios: AMI 10011.006
    Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 6600v+
    Video Card Driver: Forceware 81.98
    Sound Card: C-Media High Definition Audio
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 5.12.01.0008.62
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCII
    1. TV Card Type: analog
    1. TV Card Driver: Hauppauge 2.0.35.23348
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    Video Codec: NVIDIA Video Decoder
    Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: UPC Cable
    HTPC Case:
    Power Supply:
    Remote: MCE Remote
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

In the config I've set to mount ISOs with Deamon Tools (DT) and checked 'Ask before playing .iso/bin files'. DT is running in the background and works fine. DT is set to Automount only. Autostart is disabled, both in DT and in the windows registry (to prevent the idiot popup dialog after mounting the dvd and stealing the focus from MP).

I go to My Videos and select an ISO (dvd image) from the list of movies. Immediately the list with my movies disappears and is replaced by an empty list with only one item (^ .. move up one directory). I'm not sure in which folder I ended but chosing that ..-item I move up and end up in my movie listing again (where my ISO was in). I can click again on the ISO that I mounted and then I see the famous folders: audio_ts and video_ts. If I then press the ..-item again (just above these two folders), I don't end up in my movie listing but in the root of my system, showing all my dvd drives (either fixed or virtual). And yes, there is my mounted dvd!

Now, first of all, there was no question at all whether I wanted to play the iso disc at all. Instead of that, I ended up in an undefined state (some folder, who knows where).

The next problem was to get that dvd playing. When sitting in the listing showing my ISO (after it was mounted), I can right click on it (with the mouse) and choose 6 Play. When I do that, all that happens is that I get a listing of what's in the DVD (these two famous folders again). No playing.
    The only way to get the DVD to play, is to go up the folder hierarchy, all the way to the top, and select the virtual DVD there and press Play.

Now, explain THAT to a normal user ;-)

This really has to be fixed :)
    My suggestion is to treat all ISOs as disc to begin with. Make them atomic. The user shouldn't know at all that it has to be mounted, that is has folders of it's own etc etc. All he wants is play that darn thing. So, you should never be able to enter it's folder structure. Then it is just like any other movie you can click on.
    I don't want to explain to my wife or kids how mounting isos work in the first place. It has to be as transparant as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom