Movies no longer playing (1 Viewer)

SimplyC

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
Hi

Firstly, big thanks for the upgrade. So glad Santa Fforde and his elves came early

However, now I've installed, most of my movies won't play! A few do, but on most of them I hit enter, or P, andnothing happens (no error, nothing...). Everything played ok prior to the new installation.

I've checked on My Movies and everything plays through their, so I assume it's not a codec issue. Any wisdom gratefully received.

SC

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well first thing we need is log files from when you reproduced the error. There are instruction on the wiki explaining how to generate useful logs.

For what its worth on install 1.0 backs up your 0.7 database so you can always downgrade if needed.

SimplyC

Portal Member
September 13, 2009
Ah! The log files showed me the error of my ways. My Custom Intro is apparently an invalid file. I've removed that and now everything works

Thanks

armandp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2008
    Zoetermeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    still interested in why it doesn't play if the intro is not a valid file and the logs btw ;)

SimplyC

Portal Member
    September 13, 2009
    Ok, logs attached. I've also discovered something else. It will play movies it's played before, but not ones it's not played.

log says (line 823)
    Code:
    04-Dec-2009 22:35:35 Debug [   MovingPicturesGUI]: playSelectedMovie() 
    04-Dec-2009 22:35:35 Debug [         MoviePlayer]: Playing Custom Intro:  D:\My Movies\MP_INTRO.mov 
    04-Dec-2009 22:35:35  Warn [         MoviePlayer]: ' D:\My Movies\MP_INTRO.mov' is not a playable video file. 
    04-Dec-2009 22:35:35 Debug [         MoviePlayer]: Reset.

Not sure why it's not playing my intro file either (come to think of it, it never played in 0.75 either.... but the main feature did). KM Player plays it fine.

Any ideas let me know

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    You need to add the DirectShow splitter and filters to your OS for MOV files, because MediaPortal relies on those for playback (the reason KM player, or VLC or MPC-HC would have no problem playing the same files, is because they got those filters all internal).

I had the same problem trying to make the MyTrailers plugin working, because those are mainly MOV files as well.

So what you need to do is install Apple Quicktime v7.0 or higher (or use any of the Lite variants, such as the QTLite that I used).

And then install: MediaPortal - Mediacenter - - MediaLooks QuickTime Plugin

Then your problem is solved.

SimplyC

Portal Member
    September 13, 2009
    Movies not playing because of invalid custom intro

Ok. So I reckon I've got 2 problems here... one is fixed, one not

My initial problem came about because I'd excluded .MOV files from the formats MP recognises, in an attempt to prevent my trailers showing in the MovingPictures Library) Hence my original failure. Can I just stress that I didn;t get an error message or anything. Quite literally, nothing happened. So I reckon there's a tiny bug fix needed to say "File CustomIntro.mov is not a recognised video format" or something of similar ilk (like it says in the log!). Alternatively, if the custom intro is invalid, just play the main feature (which is what 0.75 did I guess!)

So, I've added .Mov back into the recognised format list, and now something happens (hurrah) but it's an error message (boo). I've followed RoChess' instructions, installe QTlite and the MediaLooks plugin, but am getting a message regarding audio codec. Logs attached

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom