Movies such as "L.A. Confidential", and "Die Hard" sort wrong (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi RoChess

Why does L.A Confidential get put under Confidential for movie sorting, can understand la being taken out, but not L.A, or is this going to be another one of those horrible exceptions LOL :D

vpupkin

Portal Pro
    March 26, 2011
    Re: Problem with "English Title (Original Title)" option

Why does L.A Confidential get put under Confidential for movie sorting, can understand la being taken out, but not L.A, or is this going to be another one of those horrible exceptions LOL :D

I just tried this, and can confirm - I think this is because in sort-by field special characters are ignored, so 'L.A.' shows up as 'la', and promptly gets stuffed to the back (check it out, sortby is 'confidential la'). Strange though, as I imported back then with one of the previous IMDB+ versions (I am almost certain), and sort was fine...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The (dots) are indeed ignored, "L.A. Confidential" becomes "La Confidential" and then "La" is recognized by the default article removal setting for the Spanish 'The' and changed into "confidential la" for the sortby title.

This also affects "Die Hard" for the German 'The', as well as other movies.

By default MovingPictures has a single article removal regular expression setting that contains English, German, Spanish, French and Dutch words for 'A', 'An', and 'The'.

So to fix it for the time being, just edit your MovPic advanced settings:

MovPic config -> About -> Advanced settings -> "MediaPortal GUI" -> "Sorting" -> "Articles for Removal" -> An English user should adjust that to only show "the|a|an". Be sure to click the 'Update' button so that changes are saved.

Next on the agenda for IMDb+ scraper-script is a seperate article-removal system, so that it can be properly multi-language aware and solve the problem of the "Remove Roman numeral on first movie" setting that currently requires an import+refresh to work. I tried to get the changes put into MovPic, but developer doesn't like to add stuff that only caters towards IMDb+ (I still think it would benefit other scraper-script developers if it was functional), so I'll be forced to just add it into the IMDb+ system myself then.

So just change the "Articles for Removal" setting for now, and keep an eye on IMDb+ forum (or Google project site) for updates on when I got my own system finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom