Moving back to MP? (1 Viewer)

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
November 8, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
i´m thinking about moving back to MP... I used TVE3 about 8 months ago, multiseat, but switched to vista mediacenter because of the stability, fast channelswitching and of course, the eye candy =P

i´m though really missing all the mediaportals features, possibilities and of course, the multiseat tv-engine...

How is MP today? Has there been big improvements in the stability? How is the channel-shifting performance? My server is a opteron 148 with 1 gb ram and 2 floppydtvs, so i think that won´t slow it down...

Happy holiday =)

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Merry Christmas.

My channel swithing is about 2-3 seconds. Not great, but certainly acceptable. Yes, using TV3. I am quite hooked on MP.

Looking for eye candy - see the Xface skin. Very cool.

zion22

Portal Pro
    April 6, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    TVE3 have improved quite a bit compared with 8 months back, no doubt about that. ;)

I'm using it now and it's pretty stable imo. There are ofcourse still some issues (Nothing major tho) but that's why it's "Beta". ;)

SpiffBB

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2006
    TV3 works great nowdays if you find a good SVN. Fast switching and stable. Overall MP is quite stable for daily use. However, even with another skin you wont get near the eyecandy. Im also missing it, however have a look at MP2 - the future looks promising!

Why dont you maka a ghost copy of your disk and just give MP a trie!

Best regards
    Oscar

stryker

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you moved away because of the instability issues then I'm pretty sure you'll be doing the same soon enough. MP is a bit of a tease esp with the tv3 engine features, yet the constant instability and "stuff that was ok but is later broken" syndrome of releases does have me tearing myhair out, sometimes wishing it had never been created :)

However, if work contines to make it a stable static release I'm sure things will improve.... I'd say give it a try but consider waiting for V1 final to be released.

mrkaras

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2006
    Home Country
    possibly a Little better but still not very stable, I usually have to restart the service probably 4 times a week, so I must have a good SVN. If I had a copy of MCE I would probably be using it, does it do the things it claims to do?

and the MP2 may not be that much better (still a long way away yet anyway) but when I tried it I run it 5 times and had it freeze 4 of them.

KoktGrus

Portal Pro
    November 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, thank you all for your good answers!

I think i´ll wait some more months then... The MP2 looks really great!

The dream-mediacenter would be a mediaportal as solid as MCE... MCE is really missing all of mediaportals great features!

stryker

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    Yes, I think one key feature of any media centre should be the ability to have the media content and video capture cards in a remote PC, which is exactly what media portal does. That leaves me to have a nice quiet sleek media centre case in my living room leaving the media PC in the spare bedroom with all the hard disks and video capture/tuner cards in it.......

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The dream-mediacenter would be a mediaportal as solid as MCE

Not as solid as you would believe, TV side screws up fairly consistantly, usually not allowing recordings to take place because of TVGuide errors, which also jams manual recordings until fixed.

Also codecs like getting screwed as well, one minute you can watch a film next you cannot.

As the particular pc in question is only used for shopping (aargh) and emails, no new programs are installed, only windows updates where neccessary.

christiand

Portal Member
    December 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am at the same dilemma as you are. Love mediaportal for the eyecandy but missing quite some features that mediaportal does offer. Started last week again with mediaportal and am now dedicated to make it work for me. The new xface skin is just great. The rotating home buttons looks even better then vista mce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom