Moving back to MP?

Discussion in 'MediaPortal 1 Talk' started by KoktGrus, December 24, 2007.

1. KoktGrus

KoktGrus Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    i´m thinking about moving back to MP... I used TVE3 about 8 months ago, multiseat, but switched to vista mediacenter because of the stability, fast channelswitching and of course, the eye candy =P

i´m though really missing all the mediaportals features, possibilities and of course, the multiseat tv-engine...

How is MP today? Has there been big improvements in the stability? How is the channel-shifting performance? My server is a opteron 148 with 1 gb ram and 2 floppydtvs, so i think that won´t slow it down...

Happy holiday =)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rekenaar
    • Premium Supporter

rekenaar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +785 / 0
    Home Country:
    South Africa South Africa
    Merry Christmas.

My channel swithing is about 2-3 seconds. Not great, but certainly acceptable. Yes, using TV3. I am quite hooked on MP.

Looking for eye candy - see the Xface skin. Very cool.

4. zion22

zion22 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    TVE3 have improved quite a bit compared with 8 months back, no doubt about that. ;)

I'm using it now and it's pretty stable imo. There are ofcourse still some issues (Nothing major tho) but that's why it's "Beta". ;)

5. SpiffBB

SpiffBB Portal Pro

Sweden
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TV3 works great nowdays if you find a good SVN. Fast switching and stable. Overall MP is quite stable for daily use. However, even with another skin you wont get near the eyecandy. Im also missing it, however have a look at MP2 - the future looks promising!

Why dont you maka a ghost copy of your disk and just give MP a trie!

Best regards
    Oscar

6. stryker

stryker Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you moved away because of the instability issues then I'm pretty sure you'll be doing the same soon enough. MP is a bit of a tease esp with the tv3 engine features, yet the constant instability and "stuff that was ok but is later broken" syndrome of releases does have me tearing myhair out, sometimes wishing it had never been created :)

However, if work contines to make it a stable static release I'm sure things will improve.... I'd say give it a try but consider waiting for V1 final to be released.

7. mrkaras

mrkaras Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +7 / 3
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    possibly a Little better but still not very stable, I usually have to restart the service probably 4 times a week, so I must have a good SVN. If I had a copy of MCE I would probably be using it, does it do the things it claims to do?

and the MP2 may not be that much better (still a long way away yet anyway) but when I tried it I run it 5 times and had it freeze 4 of them.

8. KoktGrus

KoktGrus Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok, thank you all for your good answers!

I think i´ll wait some more months then... The MP2 looks really great!

The dream-mediacenter would be a mediaportal as solid as MCE... MCE is really missing all of mediaportals great features!

9. stryker

stryker Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Yes, I think one key feature of any media centre should be the ability to have the media content and video capture cards in a remote PC, which is exactly what media portal does. That leaves me to have a nice quiet sleek media centre case in my living room leaving the media PC in the spare bedroom with all the hard disks and video capture/tuner cards in it.......

10. Paranoid Delusion
    • Premium Supporter

Paranoid Delusion Moderation Manager

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Not as solid as you would believe, TV side screws up fairly consistantly, usually not allowing recordings to take place because of TVGuide errors, which also jams manual recordings until fixed.

Also codecs like getting screwed as well, one minute you can watch a film next you cannot.

As the particular pc in question is only used for shopping (aargh) and emails, no new programs are installed, only windows updates where neccessary.

11. christiand

christiand Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am at the same dilemma as you are. Love mediaportal for the eyecandy but missing quite some features that mediaportal does offer. Started last week again with mediaportal and am now dedicated to make it work for me. The new xface skin is just great. The rotating home buttons looks even better then vista mce.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!