Moving Pictures Crash (1 Viewer)

nswellman

Portal Member
February 6, 2011
I posted this problem on the google code site as suggested, but decided to repost here as well just in case someone else has experienced the same problem, or might have a helpful suggestion for something easy that I might be overlooking. If you are interested, the google code issue number 1037 can be found here. Basically though, when I am watching a ripped .iso movie file in Moving Pictures, Media Portal crashes when the movie comes to an end, or if I press stop. Other than that, the movie plays fine. I have tried different codecs, and while they change the behaviour of the crash slightly, it still crashes. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate your advice. Oh and I have attached my log files just in case you need that info as well.

Nick

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I see ffdshow is used for audio, but is any video codec enabled inside ffdshow configuration? I've always had tons of problems with ffdshow when that was enabled, because it would then try to also process the video and interfere with the actual codec in charge of that. Try the MPC Audio codec first otherwise to see if that indeed makes a difference.

nswellman

Portal Member
    February 6, 2011
    RoChess, thanks for taking the time to reply. I tried all of the different audio decoders that are loaded as well, and it didn't help. In fact, some of them didn't even produce any audio, and it still crashed in the same manner when I pressed stop. Could it be that I have the ffdshow video decoder configured incorrectly? I left the configuration with the default settings, but could that be something to look at? Also, does it matter which decoders are used on the TV Codecs and Video Codecs tabs of the configuration? I am only changing the codecs on the DVD Discs/Images Codecs since I am playing .iso images. Let me know your thoughts and thanks again.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    RoChess, thanks for taking the time to reply. I tried all of the different audio decoders that are loaded as well, and it didn't help. In fact, some of them didn't even produce any audio, and it still crashed in the same manner when I pressed stop. Could it be that I have the ffdshow video decoder configured incorrectly? I left the configuration with the default settings, but could that be something to look at? Also, does it matter which decoders are used on the TV Codecs and Video Codecs tabs of the configuration? I am only changing the codecs on the DVD Discs/Images Codecs since I am playing .iso images. Let me know your thoughts and thanks again.

It is not called "codec hell" for nothing, so I personally prefer to only install and use the codecs that work without problems. The only reason to use ffdshow-tryouts would be for high definition audio codecs, such as DTS MA or Dolby HD, but if you do not have a fancy HDMI receiver that supports that, then you can simply stick to a simple MPC Standalone codec solution.

I would therefore uninstall any other codec that you don't use. MediaPortal allows direct usage of the codecs via setup and by default doesn't rely on merits, which is the basis of most codec hell experiences, but in my own experience I've had problems even then. Some of those always lead back to ffdshow, so I tend to avoid it, unless required for HighDef audio support. In that case you can always configure ffdshow to only act as audio decoder and not mess around with any video.

Perhaps you have other codec packs, etc installed?

I would go as clean as possible, even unregistering the MPC codecs, then download the latest stand alone filters on what you want to use and register those. The important ones are MpaDecFilter.ax, MPCVideoDec.ax, and MatroskaSplitter.ax. If you use the OnlineVideos plugin, then also MP4Splitter.ax and FLVSplitter.ax.

nswellman

Portal Member
    February 6, 2011
    Well, I haven't delved this far into codecs before, so this should be a real challenge. My configuration "out of the box" used the ffdshow codecs from the klite standard codec pack, and it honestly worked extremely well from the start. I didn't have any problems with video or audio playback on any media types until about two weeks ago. Not sure if a windows patch screwed something up or what, but all of a sudden, MP became unstable, and started crashing. I really suspect it has to do with something more than just the codecs used, because so far, none of the codecs I have tried have fixed the problem, or changed the behaviour. Anyway, thanks for the help and advice.

I have only ever downloaded and installed codec packs, so do I just search for these individual codecs and download/install them individually?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom