Moving Pictures rebuilds movie list everytime i select all movies (1 Viewer)

shlongky_kong

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi Guys,

New to media portal and have spent the last 5 days getting it all in order.

I have about 2,500 movies in my collection located on a NAS that has been Mapped to my windows 7 x64 HTPC over wireless N Network.

What im finding is that every time i go into Moving Pictures in MP and select All Movies, It rebuilds the movie list and takes maybe 5mins+ before i see the list and can scroll. Sometimes i see the page number at the bottom slowly build up until it is at 1/270 odd.

If i select a category like say "1940" it will load quickly(not instantly by any stretch) but i assume this is because the list is small (40 movies or so)

for TV Shows i have 130+ different series and over 10,000 episodes and that loads up fine from the same NAS.

Have i missed something in the Configuration?

I thought hat using SQL as the database this wouldn't be an issue?

I am coming across from a Media Browser set up and that had no issues loading the same movies over the same network
    Any help would be much appreciated guys.

Cheers

Using 1.1.3 with Moving Pictures 1.1.4.1288

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    It could be that either MovingPictures or MediaPortal is trying to scan your shares for changes or info on existing collection, such as for example MediaInfo scans. Try disabling the MediaInfo part in MovingPictures first, see if that solves your problem. Otherwise repeat the problem, but provide MediaPortal debug enabled log files if you plan to expect any actual resolvement.

PS: v1.1.4 or v1.2.2 solves a network delay problems on large collections, so that might just fix things for you

shlongky_kong

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2011
    Home Country
    im in the process of adding more titles currently but when that is done i will upload a log with the details.

Can someone please remind me how that is done and the best settings for the log (cant currently check the configuration tool as i am importing in moving pictures)

thanks in advance

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This is a known issue shlongky_kong. What is happening is currently Moving Pictures pings each of your movies to see if they are 'available' when you take a step in the menu. This data is used for special highlighting for movies that are in your collection but happen to be offline. For example if a NAS is offline or a USB hard drive is unplugged. This is useful information but obviously something that could be handled in the background and also cached. For collections stored locally or for modest collections stored on a NAS, this delay is either imperceptible or a minor annoyance but for very large collections stored on a NAS it makes the plugin nearly unusable. :(

For what its worth this is the top priority issue right now and I plan to release a fix for this hopefully by the weekend. But unfortunately there is no work around at this point, I am very sorry.

shlongky_kong

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply fforde.

Yeah at the moment the plugin really is quite unusable for me. The main reason for moving across from Media Browser was Moving pictures and the fact that i didnt have to exit and use MCE for watching Live TV.

Fingers crossed on a fix shortly. I would hate to rebuild my HTPC with Media Browser again after spending so many days on setting up MePo.

It has already put me in the doghouse with the wife the amount of time (and money on and ssd drive and new tv tuner card) i have spent setting this one up.

Appreciate the effort of all involved and wait with baited breathe on a fix to this issue.
    :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Again very sorry for the trouble. And by the way if you want to help testing (i.e. get the fix sooner) I generally post test builds a few days in advance of a release in our IRC Channel.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Yeah at the moment the plugin really is quite unusable for me.

Until the fix is available, you could configure MovingPictures to organize movies by category and then configure your MediaPortal skin to launch MovingPictures directly into a category view that does not take long to load. You do need MediaPortal v1.2 beta for this function and use the corresponding MovingPictures v1.2.x edition.

A good example would be the genre category that you can load by default to make selecting a movie easy, or rely on custom categories you can preconfigure. You can even make MovPic load an additional filter on startup, for example "Unwatched Movies", which will limit the amount of movies displayed and load things faster.

Or wait till next week :D

shlongky_kong

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Again very sorry for the trouble. And by the way if you want to help testing (i.e. get the fix sooner) I generally post test builds a few days in advance of a release in our IRC Channel.

Thanks again for the info.

When a fix is released for this where will I find it?

Also I will keep an eye on the IRC channel as I would love to be involved in the testing.

Cheers

shlongky_kong

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2011
    Home Country
    fforde that Alpha you built me worked like a charm.

Everything loads instantly. Even quicker than anything else in Media Portal.

Thank you so much. My wife thanks you too :)

ozn

Portal Member
    June 4, 2008
    I'm experiencing the same issue on my machine, 6 Gb Memory, Quad core 3.0 Ghz and only in moving pictures I notic a low down everyt time i go into a movie and then go out to movie list, Tv Series works fine, my movies are stored on a NAS via GigaEthernet link.

My collection it's about 2500 movies, there's any way I can try also de Alpha that fforde prepare to shlongky_kong and give you feedback about the new performance?

Thanks for all yor assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom