Moving Pictures slow to list All Movies (1 Viewer)

aots74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi All,

Had nothing but absolute JOY from moving pictures for a long time now. In the last few weeks, however, it takes a particularly long time to load the "All Movies" list. If I load from a filter (and therefore a shorter list), the response is almost instant. I don't think it's due to the length of the list however as the "All Movies" list takes a couple of minutes to appear. Processor/memory usage does not increase greatly while waiting for the list but there seems to be network activity the whole time. Movies are held on a shared NAS and accessed via wireless 802 N. I know... wireless!!! But as I said, everything has worked perfectly for quite a while now, even with the wireless network in place.

It seems like a pause occurs just before a failed backdrop download but I would have thought this would be running in the background. I can't see anything wrong in the main app log but I don't exactly know what I'm looking for. Logs attached, any ideas?

:D

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    18:30:58 = Startup MePo
    18:31:07 = Loading MovingPictures Plugin
    18:31:10 = MovingPictures starts scaning your import paths and updates existing entries
    18:31:15 = Finds new entries and tries to auto-match them, but fails due to lack of proper filename (and you are using and old IMDb scraper version, you might want to update)
    18:31:35 = Starts category view
    18:31:37 = Shows Gremlin movie

So that is all done in under a minute. Looks like you provided the log file on the situation that works (as in filtered view), so can't debug why it fails in the other situation.

Your file maintenance takes a very long time (23.8 seconds) compared to my own system (0.9 seconds) so something is definatly up.

There are also a lot of other plugins misconfigured as there are many errors in MediaPortal, so any of those might also be the underlying reason. TV server is setup wrong, as there is an SQL error, and FanartHandler plugin is causing problems so you want to look into both (check settings and look for updates).

But without proper log file on the situation that is causing the problem, can't do much.

aots74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks RoChess. Surprised there are so many errors as it should be quite a clean install. MP 1.1.0 RC3 -> StreamedMP 1.0.3.1223 and that's it! I did restore moving pictures database and artwork however so I will try a completely clean install and see what happens. I can see the Gremlin line you are talking about. The problem from a user perspective happens here:

18:31:50 = Chose All Movies node (this is when I clicked "All Movies")
    18:33:02 = Publishing Movie Artwork (this is when I see the list appear)

I will also look into the other issues you have raised and see what happens.

Thanks again.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Surprised there are so many errors as it should be quite a clean install.

Development goes fast on parts and subparts, it just takes a bit before they become part of the easy all-in-one download.

You can however update those individual items afterwards, for example you used StreamedMP for an easy all-in-one download, but the MovingPictures version that comes with it is older then the one you can download on the forum here (check the sticky threads). Same goes for all the other parts, the log file shows you the versions on each part, so then look on the forum to see if any of those have an update with possibly a fix to go along for problems you might have.

And it is not just the main parts, because for example you can update to the latest available MovingPictures beta/RC, but there are subparts you can update as well (without having to compile your bleeding edge version from SVN source). The easy parts you can update yourself are for example the scrapers, such as the latest IMDb v1.5.4 scraper (available on forum). Instructions on how to update are available on FAQ.

There are also some advanced settings updates that have been updated and are relativly easy to adjust, such as the noise filter @ Issue 713 but it looks as if you do not have any problems on that aspect so you could just leave that alone.

The development team is hard at work to catch up and get v1.0 stable out the door, so that they can proceed with all the fixes that are planned for v1.1. It's a weird situation where future enhancement requests are sometimes finished before the current requests are bug-free. There are a lot of things scheduled for v1.1 that are already done (some even for v1.2), but v1.0 has to be wrapped up first. Like having 3 people working on building a house, one doing the foundation, another the walls, and somebody for the roof. Now imagine the roof person is already done, but they can't however show off their work or add it onto the house yet, because all the other parts have to be finished first.

aots74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks again for all your feedback. I really appreciate it. I should have mentioned that I am running the updated plugins, so I have:

- mediaportal 1.1.0 rc3
    - streamedmp 1.1.0.1303
    - mp-tvseries 2.5.3.1008
    - moving-pictures 1.0.4

I have updated the fanarthandler to 2.0 and updated the IMDB scraper to 1.5.4.
    Uninstalled the TV server as it is not in use anyway.

Still having problems and have attached another movingpictures log. I kept an eye on the log this time during the wait time. The line

31-May-2010 20:01:31 Info [UpdateArtworkProcess]: Background artwork updater process complete.

was written to the log and then after a fair wait the line

31-May-2010 20:03:31 Info [ MovieImporter]: Started MovieImporter

was written. I know the times are the same but the second line was written quite some time after the first.

I might try a full clean install with the updates you have suggested and see how I go.
    Failing that, I might wait for the updated version or just use the filter views.

Thanks again.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Need the other log files to know more on that, since MovingPictures is a part within MediaPortal, there is more going on at the same time. It might also be that you have a giant amount of movies that lack a cover image, this will cause MovingPictures to constantly scan for updates. You could turn on scraper-debug mode (little green bug) to find that out.

This will be made easier in v1.1 (or pushed to v1.2 due to the extensive work required) as it is one of the enhancements in the works to filter the Movie Details list based on missing items, such as cover/backdrop images.

I have some weird movies in my own collection as well for which I've been unable to find a cover image for (which I would have otherwise contributed to themoviedb.org website), so to speed MovPic up, I've just created a mockup cover image that I manually added for those movies. It is much better of course to find an actual cover image, add it to one of the cover image scraper sites you use (IMPAwards and TheMovieDb being the obvious choices), and then MovPic will add it automatic, but that is not always as easy for obscure movies.

You can also lower the minimum requirement settings for resolution in advanced settings and settle for a lower quality image that might be available. I've done so myself as well as I rather have low quality then no image at all.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    aots74 you are saying it used to be quite fast but now it is much slower?

For what it's worth MediaPortal (and in turn Moving Pictures) is just slow building the list of movies. Figuring out which movies go in the list is easy and fast, but for some reason the logic to insert those items into the on screen GUI is relatively slow and when you are populating a few hundred items, it can become quite noticeable. Its possible this may be the problem, although it doesnt quite fit if it was significantly faster in the past with the same number of movies.

And for what its worth, in 1.1 we are planning on doing this loading asynchronously, which means the list would immediately show up and populate while you are still able to scan through the ones already loaded. Hopefully this will improve the user experience.

aots74

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi fforde, lists with a large number of movies used to be fast but have slowed down. Your response sounds interesting and I am curious to see how things change in the new release. I have to admit though, that only today I tried a hard wired network and "All Movies" shows up instantly! I have been meaning to hard wire the house for some time now so after this post I head into the roof! Strange that it used to be so fast over the N wireless and now struggles but I am not fussed. It has motivated me to finish my wiring project, after which I can continue to enjoy MP in all its glory. Sorry I haven't done it before now but I have made a donation to the project today. Thanks for the great work (and thanks for your help RoChess).

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    That is very interesting it is so much faster with a hardwired network setup. Moving Pictures does do a check to determine which movies are online and which are offline, but I am surprised this is affecting browsing. I will look into this after we get 1.0 Final pushed out. And thanks a ton for the donation aots74! It means a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom