Moving Pictures vs. MP 1.2.0 Alpha Video Database?

Discussion in 'Moving Pictures' started by DGalt, December 8, 2010.

1. DGalt

DGalt Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    According to the release info, MP 1.2.0 Alpha supposedly sports a greatly upgrade video database. After reading through the changes it looks like it including a lot of the features that moving pictures includes.

I haven't had a chance to play with MP 1.2.0 at all (been busy getting my unraid server up and running :rolleyes:)...how do the two compare?

I really like MovingPictures (big thumbs up devs :D), but my moto with these types of things is less is generally better, so if the built in video database does just as good of a job then that has to be taken into consideration.

Just looking for feedback from those who have had a chance to test all of this stuff.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DGalt

DGalt Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  4. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    If you are looking for information about something besides Moving Pictures your probably in the wrong subforum...

5. DGalt

DGalt Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    this does concern moving pictures...and when I tried to ask the question in the MP 1.2 area my question was deleted due to "crossposting"...not really sure what to do then

6. lordarcane

lordarcane Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    The best thing should just be to try them out and compare wich you like the best. Thats the great thing about mp. You get to choose! ;)

7. fforde

fforde Community Plugin Dev

Software Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,696 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    Well sorry your thread got deleted. If your asking about new functionality of My Videos I dont see why it would have been removed. Hopefully someone around here will post some thoughts. :p If not just give them both a try like lordarcane said. ;)

8. protonenpumpe
    • Premium Supporter

protonenpumpe MP Donator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    AW: Moving Pictures vs. MP 1.2.0 Alpha Video Database?

Hi!

I also read about the new features of the MyVideo-Part of MP, so I tried it on a test-system and imported some of my films into the database...

My opinion:
    MovingPictures is far more user-friendly! It's more flexible with creating categories (as far as I could figure it out, in MyVideos you just can do this with manually add genre-types), the editing part (of MovingPictures) is easier to handle and the scraper acts more reliable. I tried to import about 50 movies into the video-database and for at least 10-15 movies, the scraper picked wrong informations. Apart from this, the biggest advantage of movingpictures is the parental lock! Either there is no such feature in MyVideos or I didn't find it. By this time, my 4 year old son figured out, how the remote works and I would not be pleased, if he'd be starting to watch some of my horror-movies....

In spite of all that, there are two things in MyVideo I would love to be added to MovingPictures:
    1. actor-information : when sorting by actors, MyVideos shows up data like a short biography and a filmography
    2. cover-flow : not necessarily a must-have, but it just looks very pretty

Hopefully, these two features will be in some future-release of MovingPictures, as it would make it absolutely perfect for me!

Greetings

pp

9. rekenaar
    • Team MediaPortal

rekenaar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +785 / 0
    Home Country:
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi :)

Yes, posting same question to multiple forums is against our rules.
    Do you want to continue the discussion here or should I move the whole thread to the video section?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!