MovingPictures Prevents MediaPortal Shutdown (1 Viewer)

Cadriel

Portal Member
September 11, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All,

I've recently been having a lot of major issues since I installed MediaPortal RC3 to do with system standby and resume. Prior to RC3 - the issues existed, but were not severe enough to warrant too much concern. In other words, standby and resume worked - so don't fix what's not broken.

However - once RC3 hit, all went bad. To cut a long story short, it turns out that Moving Pictures was preventing MediaPortal from shutting down / closing properly - the process just isn't closing. As soon as I disable Moving Pictures, all is good again.

Is this a known issue? I tried looking through the Issue Tracker and couldn't find anything that mentioned similar symptoms, so I thought i'd post here just incase. :)

Funnily enough, it was another user who suggested I try disabling MovingPictures so it's obviously known by at least one other! :)

--
Craig.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
It's a known issue that has already been resolved and will be distributed in the next release.

There were two problems, the primary issue had to do with the background art updater. When MediaPortal and the plug-in launches, Moving Pictures launches a thread to download new artwork for movies with no artwork present, in the background. With collections as small as a hundred or so movies this can take a few minutes, so with very large collections this could take significantly longer. This is not really an issue except that in 0.5.5c, the plug-in does not attempt to shut this thread down when the app is closed. Meaning the thread will keep the plug-in (and in turn MediaPortal) open until it finishes. In most cases this is a only 20-30 seconds and in most cases this doesn't even really matter anyway, but in some situations it is noticeable and very annoying.

The secondary problem had to do with a Thread Abort message in rare cases getting ignored by one of the movie importer threads. This I think is not a common occurrence, but with 0.5.5c, if this happens it could cause the MediaPortal process to run indefinately until manually terminated. I would not expect you to experience this issue unless you were opening and closing MediaPortal in quick succession.

The issues here really were mostly only seen by developers as most people will keep MediaPortal open for extended periods of time. And once the importer and the art updater threads have finished their work, there is very little, if any possibility of this error. But like I said at the beginning, the issues listed here have already been resolved and will be distributed in the next release.

Cadriel

Portal Member
September 11, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
That's awesome, thanks for the quick reply fforde.

I think that because I've just updated to RC3, and I've been 'tinkering' that i've noticed the issue far more than I would have if it was being used normally in the lounge.

I'll re-enable the plugin and put it into a normal scenario to see if things come right again.

--
Craig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom