MP 1.1.0 Beta has been crashing lately (1 Viewer)

elvis56

Portal Pro
January 5, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 (using SAF 3.47)
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP MC Edition Serv Pk 3
CPU Type: Pent Dual Core E5200 2.5Ghz
HDD:
Memory: 2.00 Ram
Motherboard: ASUS P5N3-AM
Video Card: RADEON 3450
Video Card Driver: 08.12
Sound Card: VIA High Def Audio
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 6,0,01,1450
MPEG2 Video Codec: PDVD9
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: MPC Video Decoder
TV: LG 42PC3D-UD

I have a question. Lately my MP seems to just freeze while watching a video. It's not all the time but it seems to be happening much to often. I can still hear the sound but the picture is frozen and I cannot get out of the frozen picture on the screen. The only option is that I have to manually turn off the computer from the power button and restart. I decided to turn on Watchdog last night but it was late and I wasn't sure if the problem would happen again. As i said, it is happening sporatically. If this happens again will Watchdog create a log for this? I ask because I cannot get to the Main desktop once MP freezes on me. I have to shut down the computer. I am not sure how Watchdog works. Do I need to interact with it and select YES to create a log or does it do it on it's own. I really don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall MP at this point. I have far to many movies and TV shows. It takes me a long time to get it where I like it lol.

thanks for any tips :D

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi elvis :)

If you shut down/restart, then watchdog will not pick it up.

Try this:
    1. Open MP Configuration
    2. Under GENERAL section, UNTICK the START IN FULLSCREEN
    3. Close Configuration
    4. Open MP Logscollector from Start Menu
    5. Click the cleanup button
    6. Click Start MediaPortal
    7. Reproduce the issue (yeah, I get it that it is not always ;) )
    8. When MP "hangs", you can use the kill task to stop MediaPortal
    9. Logcollector will now automatically kick in and create the zip for you to attach

elvis56

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks

Well here is my first attempt. Hopefully I can figure out the problem. My son had it on this morning, I came home and it had crashed during the day. Now it just crashed while watching an xvid video.

Here is the log created on my desktop:D

elvis56

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I ran filmerit and for some reaon it showed 4 errors. Mostly that I had Divx H264 and AAC i think(which I didn't anymore). Cleaned that out and upgraded to SAF 400rc1. Going to play with it now and see what happens.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Lately my MP seems to just freeze while watching a video. It's not all the time but it seems to be happening much to often. I can still hear the sound but the picture is frozen and I cannot get out of the frozen picture on the screen. The only option is that I have to manually turn off the computer from the power button and restart.

I have had a couple of similar experiences while watching live TV.

Has it only occurred for you while watching a video, or has this hang occurred on live TV, too?

elvis56

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I don't use live tv actually but I was just playing with it now and it crashed once I stopped an H264 video. It seems to be happening while watching a video or if I stop the video. Using graphstudio, it seems to be using the correct decoders.

Here is the log and the graph file while playing and H264 vid

Attachments

• h264.rar
      30.6 KB

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Here is the log and the graph file while playing and H264 vid

I can't open that .grf file, as I probably don't have the same filters as you installed. Could you attach/post a screen-shot of the graph instead?

elvis56

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    sorry I didnt know how to save it as a screen shot actually lol so I saved it as a .grf file which I just use graphstudio to open it.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    2. Under GENERAL section, UNTICK the START IN FULLSCREEN

Why does this need to be un-selected - are you saying that MediaPortal should be run in windowed mode only in order to capture the log files?

The user was not able to get out of MediaPortal hanging. I know there are ways to kill MediaPortal in fullscreen as well, but that is the easier way (for me) to explain. :)

And if MP is set to be always on top, then bringing up task manager is sometimes very very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom