MP 1.14.0 Screen Freeze Then PC Lockup (1 Viewer)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
Hi,
I had some issues last night although I'm not sure if it's a MP problem or a tuner problem. I have been having similar problems with 1.14.0 PR and even my old 1.3.0 but was hoping someone may at least be able to point me in the right direction for diagnoses

This lockup normally happens when the tv is off and MP is recording only. I then find the PC locked up the next morning but this time I just happened to be watching it when it happened

1. Watching tv while recording other programs around 10:10 pm
2. Screen freezes and I wait maybe a minute or two to see it it fixes itself
3. Go back to tv guide screen all ok
4. Select another channel and MP locks up completely. No Ctrl+Alt+Del response
5. Reboot PC via reset switch and make log file

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I could find a couple of errors in your logs but that seems unrelated, see attached files.
    Also it seems we have some sorts of log file corruption around the time of the crash:
    CropperCapture[4].png

You may want to fill in your system specs to help the community diagnose your problem.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also it seems we have some sorts of log file corruption around the time of the crash:
    That's 100% normal.

2. Screen freezes and I wait maybe a minute or two to see it it fixes itself
    It's not clear exactly when this happened. From what I can see in the log files, TV was playing relatively happily until whenever you reset the PC.

3. Go back to tv guide screen all ok
    4. Select another channel and MP locks up completely. No Ctrl+Alt+Del response
    The logs don't show this at all. That detail could have been lost in the corruption caused by your PC reset... or it could be indicative that you have a deeper (hardware, driver or Windows) problem on your hands.

Two final comments...

1. I recommend using the default DirectSound audio renderer instead of the MediaPortal audio renderer for TV.
    As it says in the wiki:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/1_TV_Codecs
    Tip
    MediaPortal Audio Renderer is often recommended for smooth video playback. However, it may not work with your TV provider(s). If you have TV playback problems (pauses, unsynchronised video/audio, no audio at all) when using the MediaPortal Audio Renderer, try another option (eg. DirectSound).

2. DxDiag crashed.
    Not sure exactly what this means, but it's a bit concerning:
    DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 4). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

Normally DxDiag is meant to be fairly bullet-proof.

Sorry, that's all I can say with the currently available information.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi thanks for the analysis. I'm not sure I can add anything except that the steps outlined definately happened whether the log shows them or not

I will try the different audio renderer to see if that is the cause

Looks like I could be in for a tough time to diagnose just lucky it doesn't happen every night

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You're very welcome. :)
    Note that you may find the problem is specific to certain channels or broadcasters. That's the nature of the MPAR<->TV compatibility situation.
    I'll be here to follow your progress, so feel free to follow up with more log files, questions etc.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Pleased to here of your interest and I will certainly provide any data I have

May be a few weeks as time to test and the WAF also comes into play

Thanks

V_J

Portal Member
    March 30, 2010
    Did you ever get this solved?
    I just installed MediaPortal 1.14 and am seeing similar behaviour. TV configuration works, preview works, but TV playback from the MediaPortal interface freezes the PC (no ctrl+alt+del response). I managed to get TV playback once, and then it took quite long for the image to appear.

I did not have much time to play with it, so I will need to test a few things before being able to better list the circumstances. I did change the audio renderer to the MediaPortal Audio Renderer, as I wanted to optimize the outputchannels (wasapi). From this and other threads I found, I will try the following steps first:
    - reinstall Microsoft VC 2008 x86
    - change the audio renderer
    - uninstall any other software that uses the tuners.

PC is one year old based on an Asus Z97-A, thoroughly tested (no hardware issues).

Thanks,

Jörg

V_J

Portal Member
    March 30, 2010
    Just to follow up... I cannot seem to reproduce it... The crashes occurred twice on the day before yesterday, but none yesterday. Haven't changed anything... We'll have to see how it holds up... :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @V_J
    If the problem comes back and you want assistance, you'll need to provide log files. :)

V_J

Portal Member
    March 30, 2010
    Thanks!
    I'm guessing it may have been some conflict with another tuner software (nextpvr), perhaps I did not properly kill its process. Now it seems fine... Even with mediaportal audio renderer set. Still am in the process of configuring it nicely, so I'm not using it fully. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom