MP and DX10? (1 Viewer)

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
January 19, 2006
I'm thinking of upgradeing my video card to one the supports HDMI. Should I wait for one that supports DX10? Or get one thats currently avaible? Are there plans in the near future for MP to support DX10?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm thinking of upgradeing my video card to one the supports HDMI. Should I wait for one that supports DX10

The specifications for running such a card are so high, unless your a real serious gamer, it is not worth it.

Are there plans in the near future for MP to support DX10

Being able to see a moving hair within MP's GUI is pretty unnecessary IMO, so the chances are that aspects of DX10 could be used, but a lower end GPU version, possibly with passive cooling would be nice, but me thinks that is a year or two down the line.

Personally for the money the midrange graphics cards are really good value.

If you want full HD capabilities, ATI's X1650 or Nvidia GS7900 are good priced options.

Regards

talbot3

Portal Member
    January 12, 2007
    You could check out the passively cooled 8600gt. It supports DX10 and has the new nvidia video processor VP2 that can offload 100% of h.264 decoding with a codec that supports DxVA.

nettech_gt

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2006
    Well, after some more Googleing it seems DX10 will be Vista only. So now I'm thinking about the GV-NX76T256HI-RH but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get it? Its passively cooled, supports HDMI and is based off the 7600GT.

techrosis

May 3, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I would choose 8600GT too... if you have the bucks...for it's new video engine. (they say 5% CPU while playing h264 1080p)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would choose 8600GT

Remember the whole system from power supply onwards needs to marry up nicely to get the best results, and the 8xxxx series take up a lot of space, so are not suitable for a htpc anyway.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread