[Configuration] MP and Remote Desktop (1 Viewer)

Requiem

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 1, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I repeatedly have the need to access my HTPC from remote locations via Remote desktop, e.g. when something is wrong and my wife cannot use MP but also several other cases. As it is a standalone HTPC, MP is set to autostart on windows.
    So it'll start when I login via RDP (multiuserlogon enabled).
    Here are my improvement suggestions

- MP hangs on the splash screen when RDPing to the HTPC and needs to be shut down by the task manager. (All recent versions at least back to 1.2, tested with streamedMP). Best thing would be if it wouldn't hang, but it may still give you issues when User 1 and User 2 are using MP with the same databases on the same machine. Suggestion is to recognize RDP logons and not to autostart MP then.

- With 1.8.1, when I use MP Config in an RDP session, it'll throw a .NET runtime error upon save&quit, didn't have that before.

As this is a "special use" which surely not everyone needs, priority is low at best. BUt please note it as a "it would be nice to have".

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    - With 1.8.1, when I use MP Config in an RDP session, it'll throw a .NET runtime error upon save&quit, didn't have that before.
    I'm RDPing into both my HTPC & SERVER (RDP session with server is open 24/7 on my DEV box), and i never had .NET errors on save&quit.
    Maybe it's related to a missing FULL Client install on the machine that opens the RDP session?
    And you probably know what i'm gonna ask for next: Logs please. :D

RDP stuff has been improved not that long ago. Maybe @Sebastiii has an idea on the hanging splashscreen.

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm RDPing into both my HTPC & SERVER (RDP session with server is open 24/7 on my DEV box), and i never had .NET errors on save&quit.
    Same here.
    I get errors when i double click the config icon, then quickly minimize the rdp session and open it again after mp config has been loaded. but apoart from that, never any problems.

Also @Requiem why dont you just use 2 different users, one that runs on your tv and autostarts mediaportal, and one that is just for rdp and does not autostart mp. Thats how i do it, and dont have any issues.
    You can even hook into the first session that is running mp with shadow.exe (afaik not under Win8), if you need to.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    [QUOTE=".Also @Requiem why dont you just use 2 different users, one that runs on your tv and autostarts mediaportal, and one that is just for rdp and does not autostart mp. Thats how i do it, and dont have any issues..[/QUOTE]

Lightning - have you solved the 'save config' and the MP autostarts on next login?

This is when using a different login - a setup I've been using for years, and only problem is when I forget to turn off the MP autostarrt for the management user via msconfig - I have a 3rd user, simply so I can login and kill MP for the management user:)

Cheers - JCMP

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Lightning - have you solved the 'save config' and the MP autostarts on next login?
    Im not sure what you mean. I can save the config without problems (if mp is not running of course). As i dont use autostart for mp (system goes to hibernate, so there is no need for mp to start), i also dont have a problem there ;).
    Maybe i misunderstood?

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ah - sorry, if you don't use autostart in effect, you don't have problem.

Problem - MP autostarts on RDP when all I want to do manage it.

Solution [decided it was time I removed finger and sorted it:)

0)
    1) Run MP config under it's own user ID directly on the client [I use Player]
    2) config MP to autostart, save config
    3) Re-run config and set MP NOT TO autostart.
    4) Exit MP config.
    5) From desktop, run -> msconfig
    6) In Startup tab, tick the Mediaportal.exe row.
    7) Test - on boot, Windows should start MP, as MP itself does NOT check it's config setting, it's only used to toggle the Windows setting when it's changed.

So, now when I rdp into client, as a different user [this is critical], I can edit MPConfig all I like, the windows autostart for the management user is never changed and I can't lock my self out of the box(y)

Hope that helps.

Further testing - the above does NOT work - MP is sneakier OR I'm dumber than I thought - possibly both:sick:

J

Last edited:

perky

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2014
    Home Country
    England England
    I use Remote Utilities instead of RDP. This doesn't 'log in' as such, just presents a remote screen (similar to VNC). Also you don't need a version of W7 that has the RDP server (home versions of W7 do not, and AFAIK can't be made to do so). This works fine for me.
    Mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom