MP and WHS (1 Viewer)

bakra

Portal Pro
December 27, 2004
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Are there any advantages of MP in combination with the new Microsoft Windows home Server, except ofcourse the easy backup feature?
Like using the WHS as a streaming server?

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: Latest SVN
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type: Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz
HDD: Maxtor 80 GB + Maxtor 20 GB
Memory: 756 MB
Motherboard: Asus P4S8X-X
Motherboard Chipset: ???
Motherboard Bios: ???
Video Card: ATI 7000
Video Card Driver: ATI Omega 2.6.87
Sound Card: Onboard SoundMAX
Sound Card AC3: AC3 Coaxial out
Sound Card Driver: Analog Devices 5.12.1.3665
1. TV Card: Technisat SkyStar 2
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
1. TV Card Driver: B2C2 4.3.0.9999
2. TV Card: Disecq posiotioner Motech HH-100
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2°E
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC16
Cooling: Intel box fan
Power Supply: AOpen 3ooW
Remote: iMon pad
TV: Panasonic crt
TV - HTPC Connection: Composite

THDBASED

Portal Pro
January 30, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
WHS is not recommended by the team because it is developed on top of Server 2003, wich doesn't have good driver/ media playback support.

odin318

Portal Pro
April 21, 2006
What I wish could happen is that you could have MP be stored on the WHS server, and then have "thin" clients. Having multiple clients is kinda a pain.

Zappza

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I seriously doubt that he ment to use WHS as a client, but rather set it up as a server and access files from it (Am I correct?).

I tried the same thing myself, but encountered several problems with the WHS installation, so I went back to XP Pro, which does the job for me.

However, the thing of saving the MP config on a Server and access it Client mode has already been thought of, and thanks to BennieBoy we have a solution to that, and I will start to use that solution as soon as I find my USB pen ^^,

Here is a link to a guide of how to setup MP on a server and client access ;)
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-frontend-compact-flash-tutorial-howto-38610/

edit:
    And to answer some of your questions;
    No, you can't use any fancy streaming thingys in MP, you do however get access to a nifty little thing called Drive Extender, which was the main reason I tried out WHS.

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    One advantage of WHS is the easy scalability of HDD capacity. You can populate a share x for your video files and simply add a new HDD to enlarge your share without changing pathes etc. Further on you can easily access your media archive from outside. This would be of course opssible with other tools as well, but with whs it's very easy.

Regs

henning

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Could you mention more tools that can make the same as WHS for HDD scaling? I mean to have all drives (or even seperate directories) to be seen as one share?

Thanks in advance

Arturas

mhbang

Portal Member
    August 4, 2009
    Viborg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Could you mention more tools that can make the same as WHS for HDD scaling? I mean to have all drives (or even seperate directories) to be seen as one share?

Thanks in advance

Arturas

Maybe unRAID server can do this. Unregistered unRAID Server supports up to 3 hard drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom