MP cant see TV-server, clean install (1 Viewer)

Grahamgo

Portal Member
May 15, 2009
Mexico
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had reached a stage where I had settled on a system configuration, codec, plugins etc. and decided to go back to my clean XP Pro archive (using Acronis) and re-install everything to end up with a hopefully reliable system.

My XP base had all the .nets and C++ 2005 & 2008, and was just lacking the SQL and MP install. This went fine. I have just done a basic DVB-S scan. I can see an FTA channel in the TV-server config - preview.

However when I start MP and go to MY-TV I get the message TV set-up, current setting DESKTOPPC, "please specify the IP address or host name of the master TV service. I cannot get past this screen.

As far as I know the TV-server is running as DESKTOPPC

These exact sysmptoms have happened to me before and there is a thread started by me but I was never successful in making it work. The fix then was to install ver 1.01, it worked and afterwards I upgraded to 1.02

The only difference that I can think of is that on the 1.01 install I let it download the SQL files. But this time I installed SQL myself first and the MP.

Question. Is there a list of things that I can check? I attach the log files.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Did you configure SQL to use mixed mode for logging in, this required the user "sa" and password "MediaPortal" to be entered.

Using the SQL configuration have you enabled the relevant connections, here's a screenshot of what they should look like.

sshot-58.jpg

Grahamgo

Portal Member
    May 15, 2009
    Mexico
    Home Country
    Hello Ray, You tried to help me with this earlier (Cannot get My TV working via TV-server posted 20th May). Yes my SQL Server config is identical to your example.

clicking

TCP/IP it's port=1433, yes, 30000, 1000.
    Named Pipes = sql/query, yes.
    VIA Protocol = 0,0:1433, no

I am positive that I selected the mixed mode using sa & MediaPortal. I have just installed the serer Management studio express and I do see a database MpTvDb.

I am just wondering if something in the database is missing? I have another MP Acronis version that works, I wonder if I can grab that database and stick it in this none working version?

Grahamgo

Portal Member
    May 15, 2009
    Mexico
    Home Country
    Make sure windows firewall has TVService and mediaportal.exe as exceptions.

Hi, yes the exceptions are in place for MP,MP config,MP TV server,MS SQL TCP & UDP, But I turned the firewall off earlier anyway, In the log the following repeatedly shows up.

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
    at TvControl.IController.get_IdServer()
    at SetupTv.ServiceHelper.get_IsRunning()
    2009-06-07 00:44:40.625000 [SetupTv]: ServiceHelper: Could not check whether the tvservice is running. Please check your network as well.
    Error: System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Requested Service not found

Grahamgo

Portal Member
    May 15, 2009
    Mexico
    Home Country
    Final post on this. I tried 4 x installs all starting from the same Acronis archive (XP PRO + SP3 + .net + C++ 2005 and 2008, no MS SQL )

1. MP 1.02 install allowing MP to download and install itself+SQL. Everything runs fine.
    2. Install SQL from MP site, then MP 1.02 install. MP cannot find TV server.
    3. MP 1.02 install allowing MP to download and install itself+SQL. Everything runs fine.
    4. Install SQL from MP site, then MP 1.02 install. MP cannot find TV server.

So I conclude that on my hardware I have to download the SQL as part of the install. Something must be done in the SQL install that is not documented?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom