MP changes system standby behavior (1 Viewer)

Doron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2006
    Nahariya
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    TV-Server Version:
    MediaPortal Version: svn
    MediaPortal Skin:
    Windows Version: XP Home
    CPU Type:
    HDD:
    Memory:
    Motherboard:
    Motherboard Chipset:
    Motherboard Bios:
    Video Card:
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card:
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: ATI AIW 8500DV
    1. TV Card Type: analog
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card: Hauppauge 150 MCE
    2. TV Card Type: analog
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec:
    MPEG2 Audio Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply:
    Remote:
    TV:
    TV - HTPC Connection:

svn: MediaPortal-svn--05-05-2007--01-01-Rev14521

I understand now that the following may be by design. But after it took me many hours to figure out what happened, believe me, this is a bug.

1. Open MP configuration.
    2. Uncheck "Allow S3 standby although wake up devices are present".
    3. Press "Ok".
    4. Run MP and close it.
    5. Restart computer.
    6. Put computer to standby (S3).
    7. MCE remote does not wake up computer anymore.

When not unchecking this button the computer goes to S3 state and wakes up by MCE remote with no problem.

I think that under no circumstances a check button in MP configuration should change a system behavior. I suggest it would be under a special button, with a special warning and explanation.

ronsonol

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2007
    Kingston
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Indeed, I too spent many wasted hours because of this setting - even reinstalling XP. I finally figured out that it was the checkbox too. But still have not been able to resume from usb standby using either ATI remote, or USB-UIRT.

Doron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2006
    Nahariya
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I think the receiver has to support it.
    With MCE remote, seems that it has some built in function that in s3 state it responds only to the remote's power button. I do not know about USB-UIRT, you should see in its documentation. But unfortionatly I have to tell you that I have also ATI remote, and I was never able to make it wake up the system. But I would not say that it is absolutly impossible.

ronsonol

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2007
    Kingston
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes, I managed to get the usb-uirt to wake the system. It seems to work even though there is no power management tab in device manager.

But no luck with the Ati remote, it has power to the receiver in standby, but does does nothing to wake the system. Having the usb-uirt to wake the system is okay, but the remote I use within Mediaportal is the ati remote, and its wireless, not IR. Not a perfect solution yet.

Doron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2006
    Nahariya
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    That's good news regarding the usb-uirt. I am curious, does any button wake the system?
    I used the ATI remote for years, and now I am going to let it go and use the MCE remote. There are advantages in using IR, which is more standard. For example in MP you can actually use any IR remote that you have home. There are also solutions for using the IR remote from room to room.

ronsonol

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2007
    Kingston
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    You program the usb-uirt, and enable the wake feature. It allows you to program up to four codes, so any button from any IR remote will work.

I tried yesterday to setup media portal to use the IR remote, but the signals were not picked up well. Keep in mind, my usb-uirt points away from me, and at the tv/audio stuff to control them. The signal needs to bounce around.

However, when waking the system I have no trouble getting the signal to the usb-uirt on the first attempt, but when I was running mediaportal, after training it, nearly half my button presses went unnoticed.

And, for me its hard to let go of the ATI remote, after I did a little mod to its antenna, I get incredible recpetion, from nearly any room in the house.

Doron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2006
    Nahariya
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I tried yesterday to setup media portal to use the IR remote, but the signals were not picked up well. Keep in mind, my usb-uirt points away from me, and at the tv/audio stuff to control them. The signal needs to bounce around.
    I am not sure I undertand the way it is ordered, but isn't it a problem that a small mirror will solve?

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    ronsonol; what kind of mod did you do to the antenna ?
    I have the old "ati remote wonder I" myself.

I hate IR's.

/Gibman

ronsonol

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2007
    Kingston
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes I may have to try that suggestion, thanks!

ronsonol

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2007
    Kingston
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Gibman,
    just cut back the little antenna wire that sticks out of the receiver, strip it back a half inch, and solder a new piece of 14 guage wire on the end. Your looking for an end result of about 9 inches of wire. Apparently this create a 1/4 wave antenna in the 310MHz range. The remote easily works from 20-30 feet away now, and through numerous rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom