[confirm] MP crashes to home screen while watching LiveTV (1 Viewer)

Razorblade

Portal Pro
May 22, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
MP RC3 crashes to home screen while watching liveTV.
This is the second time this happened.

First there's a short video freeze and after that MP is thrown back to the home screen. I am unable to to anything in MP after this crash and have to restart MP.

Though this doesn't happen very often (every some days) I did not start MP in debug mode but attached the log files created by the MP debug mode. I hope this is enough.

The logs with the error messages are in the *.bak files. I accidentally restarted MP after that crash :oops:

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The reason is that your GPU crashed. See below.
    From your Windows System log:
    Code:
       28.05.2010 14:38:07   Display   0   Warning   Display driver nvlddmkm stopped   responding and has successfully recovered.
    and MediaPortal.log (bak):
    Code:
    2010-05-28 14:38:08.329600 [Warn.][(2)]: Main: ***** OnDeviceLost *****
    2010-05-28 14:38:08.331600 [Warn.][(2)]: Main: ***** OnDeviceLost *****
    2010-05-28 14:38:08.427600 [Warn.][MPMain(1)]: d3dapp: Resetting DX9 device
    2010-05-28 14:38:08.652600 [Warn.][MPMain(1)]: d3dapp: DirectX9Ex is lost or gpu hung --> Reinit of DX9Ex is needed.
    This might be related to HTPC Info plugin, which is known to behave badly. See excerpt from your error.log:
    Code:
    2010-05-28 14:38:35.082600 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Exception   :Error in the application.
    -2147024882 (E_OUTOFMEMORY)
       at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromFile(Device device, String srcFile, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 mipLevels, Usage usage, Format format, Pool pool, Filter filter, Filter mipFilter, Int32 colorKey, ImageInformation& srcInformation, PaletteEntry[]& palette)
       at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromFile(Device device, String srcFile, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 mipLevels, Usage usage, Format format, Pool pool, Filter filter, Filter mipFilter, Int32 colorKey, ImageInformation& srcInformation)
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.TexturePacker.LoadPackedGraphics(Int32 index)
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.TexturePacker.Get(String fileName, Single& uoffs, Single& voffs, Single& umax, Single& vmax, Int32& iWidth, Int32& iHeight, Texture& tex, Int32& TextureNo)
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIImage.AllocResources()
    2010-05-28 14:38:35.082600 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]: Exception   :Error in the application.
    2010-05-28 14:38:35.082600 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]:   site      :Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Texture FromFile(Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device, System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Usage, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Format, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Pool, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Filter, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Filter, Int32, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.ImageInformation ByRef, Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.PaletteEntry[] ByRef)
    2010-05-28 14:38:35.082600 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]:   source    :Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX
    2010-05-28 14:38:35.083600 [ERROR][MPMain(1)]:   stacktrace:   at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromFile(Device device, String srcFile, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 mipLevels, Usage usage, Format format, Pool pool, Filter filter, Filter mipFilter, Int32 colorKey, ImageInformation& srcInformation, PaletteEntry[]& palette)
       at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.TextureLoader.FromFile(Device device, String srcFile, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 mipLevels, Usage usage, Format format, Pool pool, Filter filter, Filter mipFilter, Int32 colorKey, ImageInformation& srcInformation)
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.TexturePacker.LoadPackedGraphics(Int32 index)
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.TexturePacker.Get(String fileName, Single& uoffs, Single& voffs, Single& umax, Single& vmax, Int32& iWidth, Int32& iHeight, Texture& tex, Int32& TextureNo)
       at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIImage.AllocResources()
    Pleas disable the HTPC Info plugin and try to reproduce the issue. If you still can reproduce it try in MediaPortal Debug Mode.

Razorblade

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello arion_p,

thanks for your answer.

I also saw these GPU related messages - but I do/did not know why this happened. I thought this was MP related.

Thank you for your advice with the HTPC Info plugin. I'll disable it and see if MediaPortal crashes again as it did yesterday.
    I'll report back.

dedi

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I just started to gather the logs, as I saw here is already a report. I hope its the same, i'll upload the logs as soon as possible.

The reason for this happening is a TDR Error (more information see NVIDIA Statement on TDR Errors - NVIDIA Forums ), also known as graphic driver crash ('Display driver xxxxxxxx stopped responding and was recovered'), which itself I have to resolve, and which does not seem easy (I hope its not my graphic hardware since it happens quite alot).

When the TDR Error occures, I get dropped back to the home screen. This itself is uncool, since that deletes all my timeshift, but I cant blame MP since its not their fault. I would appreciate anyway that TV just continues, is this possible in any way?

But the other thing is, after the TDR Error occured and I start LiveTV again, it jumps back to home screen in under one minute, again and again. To be able to watch LiveTV again, I have to restart MP (Client).

Razorblade

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi dedi,

thanks for that information.

My GPU is at stock clocks and I run the latest stable NVIDIA drivers available from nvidia.com
    I ran memtest twice and passed twice - so it doesn't seem to be the RAM.
    According to speedfan my GPU temperature never exceeds 68°C while watching LiveTV

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    MP itself reinitializes DirectX upon detecting a driver crash, but this rarely helps.
    Unfortunately, in my experience, the GPU never fully recovers after a crash, regardless of what nVidia/ATI may claim. In most cases when the driver crashes once it keeps crashing regularly until the system reboots. I have seen this not only with MP but also with other DirectX/3D based apps.

dedi

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have an other experience. The only thing that it really affects is MP. All other thing just run and run (like MP too after a restart), even when I run a game (starting or already had running).

But thats probably because it's something else that cause that than on your/others system.

Is your experience with win7 or vista?

Update: Logs are up. Waited 2min after the TDR for better log analyse. Interesting observation: it did not happen when TV was left in the preview Window. Happened again when switched to fullscreen. (TDR - Restarted TV and went fullscreen - Restarted TV again some minutes in the small window then fullscreen)

Razorblade

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi dedi,

I can also confirm that this only happens with MediaPortal and LiveTV. But maybe this is something Windows-related.

Before MediaPortal I was running MythTV on my HTPC. There were no such problems, neither with the community nor the proprietary drivers.
    I'm running Win7 x64.

dedi

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    On the other Hand TDRs are always resolveable, after a long research mine is finally gone too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom